1917c Newfoundland - 50 cent coin grading help!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by ashikunn, Nov 25, 2013.

1. ashikunn

ashikunn Active Member

Hey guys - got another one ! If anyone can tell me a grading please let me know. I was thinking XF or AU. There's a little wear on the crown band but I think everything else seems pretty decent. What do you gentlemen think ?

Oh and sorry for the pictures, these are the only ones I have. I just purchased this little guy off of ebay and paid $24.00 total (shipping included). Good purchase ya think ?

1917NFLastHalfToneda.jpg 1917NFLastHalfTonedc.jpg
    1917NFLastHalfToneda.jpg 1917NFLastHalfTonedc.jpg
    $_12.JPG

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

It's sort of hard to tell behind the plastic flip, but it looks to be in nice shape with a nice amount of detail remaining. To my eye it looks to be XF, with a shot at AU50. I'd probably put it at XF40 conservatively. I'll wait for the pros to chime in. ;)

ashikunn likes this.
  4. ashikunn

ashikunn Active Member

I guess it seems so far that it was a decent buy on my part ! haha thanks

5. brg5658

The reverse looks to have a decent amount of luster, strong strike, and no big distracting marks -- I just have to play it safe given that the obverse image is tilted and behind the plastic glare. Who knows, in hand you could have a nice mid-AU grade coin -- but I think I see enough rub on the high parts of G5's crown, brow, and overcoat to probably keep it around XF45ish...I'd say for $24 you did well.

6. ashikunn

ashikunn Active Member

Yeah when it arrives I will get up some better pics and I guess we'll see ;]

7. ashikunn

ashikunn Active Member

OH hold on...I got one more picture from him. Have a look~

8. brg5658

Hmmm...still hard to tell. All that black gunk is a bit unsightly, but I'm guessing that can probably be taken care of. That new pic angle isn't doing the coin any favors, almost could appear like it was cleaned. I think you'll have to wait to get it in hand and take some straight on clearer pics. o_O

9. ashikunn

ashikunn Active Member

Yep - fair enough. I know that the picture isn't making the coin look any better but that's all I currently have to work with.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see!

10. ashikunn

ashikunn Active Member

Also the guy is suggesting that the coin is "toned" and I think that is what he is passing off the black stuff for. You think it could be toning or just gunk?

11. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

I guess you can construe this as toning. Albiet, black/brown is at the tail end of the toning scale and is usually not the most eye appealing look for "toner" collectors. Nice coin nonetheless, looks to have some luster and I would nail this in the XF40-45 area.

ashikunn likes this.
  12. SPP Ottawa

SPP Ottawa Numismatist

Very unsightly toning, this coin has been dipped in its former life. Looks like a VF-35 to XF-40 as a technical grade, but this coin would most certainly be slabbed as 'genuine' by PCGS, due to the surfaces.

ashikunn likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted