1917 Type 1 Standing Liberty - Grade?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by RonSanderson, May 4, 2016.

1. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

I have this raw Standing Liberty quarter and four mediocre pictures. Is it possible to guess a grade?

In hand, the coin has a light purple cast and cartwheel luster. There is a surface tarnishing that appears as spots under magnification. The two lines that look like scratches on the second photo are not on the coin - apparently a photographic artifact of some type.

What do you think?
    25c 1917 Type 1 obverse 01.jpg 25c 1917 Type 1 obverse 02.jpg 25c 1917 Type 1 reverse 01.jpg 25c 1917 Type 1 reverse 02.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Hard to tell from these pics, but the reverse looks possibly cleaned. I see a pattern of hairlines in the direction of approximately 2:00 to approximately 8:00. If not cleaned, based on your description of the luster and the detail apparent in the pic, it's at least high AU if not MS.

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

as stated, hard to tell

5. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

What do you think?

I think I would love to own this coin.

Dave

Stevearino likes this.
  6. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Cleaned AU-58

7. Savy

Savy Well-Known Member

AU Details

8. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Looks AU55/58, possibly details. Can't really tell from these photos, but the surfaces definitely look off.

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Au-55, maybe 58. Cleaned for sure. You can see the scratch lines on the reverse. It may not grade due to the cleaning but details for sure. :)

10. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

11. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

I am not so sure it was cleaned. It looks like a MS 60, maybe 61.

Stevearino likes this.
  12. BATTERup646

BATTERup646 Active Member

13. RonSanderson

I have to run, but I will try to post a closer picture of the reverse. Will it be marks in the toning or on the coin??? Stay tuned tomorrow!:woot:

14. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

AU Details. Cleaned.

15. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's tomorrow! :wideyed:

Daniel Jones likes this.
  16. RonSanderson

I did promise...

The blue color is mostly the sky - I took this in front of a window.

These look more like irregularities in the toning. Do you think they are scratches in the coin? 25c 1917 Type 1 reverse 03.jpg

17. RonSanderson

And another from another angle. 25c 1917 Type 1 reverse 04.jpg

18. Insider

Looks like AT (artificial toning) or a chemical alteration to hide the coin's surface. Scratches from cleaning are not that wide. The bright lines on the original photos provide evidence of mishandling or cleaning. The coin is also AU due to the change of color on the high spots.

19. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

I'm with @Daniel Jones, low MS. Is there any chance the reverse lines are die polishing?

Steve

20. Insider

No. Die polish is NOT shiny and into the coin. Check out the leg the top photo @Stevearino. Look for the short, parallel, shiny patch of horizontal, hairline CUTS into the leg. All the other bright lines are hairlines from cleaning but it is NOT harshly cleaned.

As to AU vs MS: Coin has definite friction wear or if some insist "cabinet friction." Nevertheless, coins like this are sold to uninformed collectors or informed collectors who have more tolerance for unoriginal coins showing loss of luster and detail than others like me. IMO, Max grade for an honest dealer is MS-60. If you check out the last photo of the reverse in Post #1, you will see the slightly brownish color (indicating wear) on the inside edge of the wing. The gray-brown also shows all over "Liberty's" body in one photo.

Paul M. likes this.
  21. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Yes, I see that now. Thanks, Insider!

Steve

Draft saved Draft deleted