1917 T1 Standing Liberty Quarter

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by adamsp79, Aug 31, 2011.

1. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Excellent comparison pictures, C1966, and definitely shows the issues with this coin. Let's see how it pans out.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. adamsp79

adamsp79 Member

Here it is again with a some cleaning. I took it to the local coin shop and he said it was real. He thinks it might have been a metal detector find. IMG_20110901_090119(2).jpg

4. Collector1966

Collector1966 Senior Member

Could you post higher resolution pictures of this, please? Both front and back. Thank you.

5. adamsp79

adamsp79 Member

All of the pics I've taken have been with my cell phone. It actually takes better pictures than my camera. I'll try to get some better pics up tomorrow.

6. Collector1966

While the cleaning answers some questions, it raises some more. This is becoming intriguing. I will be looking forward to seeing your high-resolution pictures.

One other question-- I may have missed it, but are the first two pictures that you posted at the very beginning of this thread the same coin? I assumed they were, and focused on the first one because it was so darn ugly and obviously loaded with problems.

One more thing-- I still think this coin is a fake, so I am really interested in seeing your high-resolution pictures.

7. adamsp79

adamsp79 Member

All the pictures I've posted are of the same coin. I'm not trying to pull a fast one on anybody. I said earlier that the very first picture that started this whole thing off was a bad pic to begin with. These two pics were taken with a little bit higher resolution from the camera on my phone.
    IMG_20110907_122450.jpg IMG_20110907_122959.jpg

8. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

9. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Try using the other pics, the one you used is clearly "tweaked". Hard to tell from pics, but it looks real in the better pics. Although weight can be faked, if it weighs very close, it is probably real. Heck, if it weighs correctly, I'd give you $17.10 for it.

One other note, probably 99% of all unslabbed early 20th & 19th century coins have been cleaned, and most have probably been improperly cleaned and wouldn't grade by a TPG'er. Question is, how bad was the cleaning and do they still have eye appeal. I think most are still collectible, if there isn't obvious scouring/scratches seen with the naked eye.

10. adamsp79

adamsp79 Member

Thanks Merc!!! I know that cleaning coins is frowned upon, but this coin definitely needed it.
    old.jpg old1.jpg new.jpg new1.jpg

11. adamsp79

adamsp79 Member

I agree with you quarterguy that most unslabbed coins have been cleaned at some time or another. There are all levels of collectors out there and like you said,,,if it still has eye appeal then some collector will want to add it to their collection. I fall into that category as I'm putting together my "poor mans" set of SLQs together. I think I will take more chances on heavily tarnished/improperly cleaned coins if I can get it at the right price. I think my little gamble of 17.10 paid off in the end. So if anyone out there that has key date SLQs that you consider problem/damaged/cleaned and want to sell them for a decent price,,,shoot ol adamsp79 a message and maybe we can make a deal!!!

12. lkeigwin

lkeigwin Well-Known Member

Looks genuine to me. Harshly cleaned and corroded. I'd be surprised if it were worth a lot more than melt.

I don't see any sense in sending it to NCS.

Here's another 1917 T1, FWIW.
    Lance.

[​IMG][​IMG]

13. adamsp79

adamsp79 Member

Wow!!! What a beautiful coin Ikeigwin. I won't be sending mine off to NCS to be cleaned. I'll just keep it and mark it off my list and maybe someday upgrade to a better coin. But for now it will do.

14. Collector1966

This latest set of pictures does answer some questions

The date shows typical wear for that condition.
    The left foot has become more visible.
    The drapery under the shield looks better.

But what is still bothering me is
    1) The lowest star on the left side of the obverse, which appears to be too small and it should be touching the line above it.
    2) The area around the breasts looks almost like traces of the chain mail type used later in the year. Also, the right side of Liberty's upper torso looks odd.
    3) The drapery on Liberty's right arm closest to her breast looks a little off.
    4) Even though the drapery under the shield looks better, there is still something odd about it.

15. Collector1966

What it looks like to me is that the quarter in the original post was made with mismatching dies-- a Type 1 reverse, and a Type 2 obverse-- and someone tried to shave away the chain mail to make the obverse look like a Type 1.

1917-S Type 2

Attached Files:

16. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

You're wrong. Shield rivets are proof. Thanks and have a nice day.

17. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

look at the hair, it's a dead give-away for type 1 or type 2. The drapery at the foot is also a tell tale sign. This coin may not even be a real type 1, but it is DEFINITELY NOT a type 2 obverse

18. adamsp79

adamsp79 Member

I have no doubt in my mind that this is a real/genuine/authentic 1917 Type 1. I even had the local coin dealer with 30 years of experience look it over under a loop and he says it's the real deal. And he said he's seen some amazing fakes over the years,,,but this isn't one of them. I appreciate all the input from everyone on this thread. Collector1966 pointed out a lot of small details to look out for the next time I buy SLQs. I just hope my next thread gets as many responses as this one did. Good day to you all!!!

19. rev1774

rev1774 Well-Known Member

That is a drool worthy quarter... just beautiful~~:yes:

20. bigjpst

bigjpst Well-Known Member

I don't know, but to me it looks like there are several areas with raised bumps on the obverse and reverse. Could be the pics, but..
    slq obv 2 (Medium).jpg
    slq rev 2 (Medium).jpg

21. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Collector1966,
    The star that is giving you an issue looks a lot better in the cleaned up coin. If you look at all the stars, that are showing in your side by side, you will see they are anything but perfect stars. They all have slightly different shapes. Now if you compare each star from one coin to the other, you will see, the shapes are perfect matches, even your problem star. In addition if you look at the MS '17 that someone posted, the star on that one also does not appear to touch the line. Also on you side by side, the pic of the OP's coin is slightly smaller, which adds to the illusion.

In summary, I am 99.99 percent sure the coin is real and the OP got a great deal for $17 and change.

Mike

Draft saved Draft deleted