1917 T1 Standing Liberty Quarter

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by adamsp79, Aug 31, 2011.

1. adamsp79

adamsp79 Member

Bought this one off of Ebay last week and just got it in today. The picture on ebay was blurry and it's not the prettiest SLQ because of the tarnish, but I ended up paying only $17.10 for it. It looks like someone has cleaned off Lady Liberty and the eagle in the past. What are your opinions/grades/value of my new coin? Would this be worth sending in to NCS to be "cleaned by their professionals"? IMG_20110831_193207.jpg IMG_20110831_191709.jpg IMG_20110831_191913.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DaveMN

DaveMN Coin collector-Minnesota

Still a beauty to me. I would'nt clean it ..

4. vnickels

vnickels Matt Draiss Numismatics & Galleries

VF? Value for one would be $72 Bid price but it has MAD issues. I don't know if it would even pass as a VF????

5. Collector1966

Collector1966 Senior Member

It looks fake to me.

Compare it with this 1917

Attached Files:

6. adamsp79

adamsp79 Member

@1966

They look exactly the same,,,besides all the tarnish.

7. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

I too am in the market for a nice XF or AU piece for my type set. But after doing some research on ebay, about 75% of the raw 1917's are cleaned! That's sad, looks like ill have to go to my local dealer to get one.

8. adamsp79

adamsp79 Member

@1966
    and I would say your coin has been cleaned in the past.

9. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

Check or have someone check the weight. Then go from there. I would not send to have it graded.
    As for finding a nice coin, go to a coin show near you, and look around and find the best that you can afford. The nice ones are harder to find now. Good luck. :thumb: Also, if you have the coin cleaned/conserved, the coin's value could go up or down on grade.
    Now that I have looked closer at the coin, the coin I feel is a cast coin. Sorry.

10. adamsp79

adamsp79 Member

I wouldn't have it graded,,,just cleaned by the pros.

11. Collector1966

Look more closely.

First of all, the date on your coin looks wrong. It is too strong, for one thing, and the top of the 9 should be flush with the top of the first 1, but it isn't.

Second, the drapery around the shield on your coin looks tattered.

Third, your coin seems to be missing Liberty's left foot.

Fourth, the exposed breast looks wrong.

Fifth, the "tarnish" looks more like corrosion, or the base metal showing through.

12. adamsp79

adamsp79 Member

There is a heavy tarnish where the date, foot and where you think you see a tattered drapery. Better pictures would clear this up. In hand you can see these characteristics. Weighing the coin would reveal the true answer though.

13. Collector1966

Weighing the coin wouldn't necessarily provide the true answer, since there are plenty of fakes that match the weight of genuine items.

Blow your coin up to the full size of your screen. I've blown it up to about 9 inches in diameter, and am looking at it side-by-side with my coin blown up to the same size.

Take a good, long look at both coins.

14. Collector1966

Here's another 1917 Type 1 for comparison (not cleaned). Notice how the date becomes flat rather quickly on these coins.

Attached Files:

15. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

...I think it's genuine. Environmental damage, maybe, those pics aren't good enough to tell... "blowing" them up just distorts the picture and can make you see things that aren't there.

16. Collector1966

Here's a coin that is fake as fake can be, but it still weighs 5.75 grams just like a real '47 Canadian quarter. And no, that's not tarnish on the coin-- even industrial strength silver cream couldn't remove it, or shine up the surface even a tiny bit.

Attached Files:

17. adamsp79

adamsp79 Member

I think it's genuine to. In hand you can clearly see the characteristics that 1966 says are problems.

18. adamsp79

adamsp79 Member

Maybe I should take some baking soda or a pencil eraser to it.

19. Merc Crazy

If you want to reduce any value it has down to about $7.50, sure...

20. adamsp79

adamsp79 Member

I was just kidding about the baking soda.

21. Merc Crazy

And the eraser, I'd hope...

Draft saved Draft deleted