1917-S Obverse Walking Half

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Collecting Nut, Apr 3, 2021.

1. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Here's a 3rd Walking Liberty Half Dollar that I purchased at junk silver pricing. Worn but readable.
    IMG_5473.JPG IMG_5474.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

They had to work for a living, but, I like them all.

CoinJockey73 and Collecting Nut like this.
  4. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

@Collecting Nut ...isn’t the mint mark supposed to be on the reverse at 7:30? I don’t know what is beneath IGWT on the obverse, but it should not be the mint mark. What am I missing?....imo...Spark

Collecting Nut and masterswimmer like this.
  5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

There was an obverse and reverse mint mark variety for this year. This is the obverse variety. Same goes for the Denver issued that year.

6. Collecting Nut

in the first year of issue, 1916, mid Mark appears on the obverse. In 1917, the second year of issue, the mint mark first appeared on the obverse but was moved to the reverse where you indicated.

In 1918 or mint marks are on the reverse. I haven't read all of the replies so I hope I didn't duplicate anybody's information.

masterswimmer and Spark1951 like this.
  7. Collecting Nut

@Spark1951 To be more specific the Denver and San Francisco issues have the obverse and reverse mintmarks as I indicated above. For the 1917-D and S issues the mint mark on the obverse have low mintages. You asked a very good question and I hope this clears things up. Please look at these dates in your Red Book. It should also help. :)

8. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

@Collecting Nut ...WOW. I be standing here beside myself. I never knew. I will be cracking my Red Book...thanks all for enlightening me...Spark

Collecting Nut and Inspector43 like this.
  9. Collecting Nut

You're welcome Spark! Have a nice Easter!!

10. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

Last year I was at a flea market. There was a walker there that was priced at 4.00. At the time melt was about 8 or something. I just bought it and never paid anymore attention than that. A couple months ago I ran across it and it was a 1917 s obverse. The sellers 2x2 said 1917. I think he thought it was a P. But why it was 4.00 I'll never know. But was a nice little bonus it took me a year to discover

Draft saved Draft deleted