1917 proof Lincoln??

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rlm's cents, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Mike Carr

Mike Carr New Member

looking at the coin from different angles the rims look sharp in and out but i don't have another matte proof to compare it to. especially don't have a raw one

Attached Files:

• 337.JPG
      337.JPG
      File size:
      482.4 KB
      Views:
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. robec

robec Junior Member

Plenty of dipped coins make their way into holders. If the coin does prove to be an MPL, a previous dipping would be of little consequence.

Personally I don't believe any Matte Proofs from 1917 exist, but that is only my opinion. I hope yours is. The odds are stacked mightily against it however.

4. Mike Carr

Mike Carr New Member

i just looked at a BU 1926 penny and a BU 1935 penny right away i can tell the rims are rounded on the inside of the field going out. the 1917 i am not 100 percent but it looks razor edged

5. Mike Carr

Mike Carr New Member

so basically if it grades PR DETAILS CLEANED OR PR60 by NGC its a matte proof right they don't put the letter m on the slab right.

6. robec

robec Junior Member

They don't designate matte, at least at PCGS. A PR at NGC is their designation for Poor, you don't want that. You want PF for Proof.

But if they do designate the coin PF, you will have the only authenticated 1917 proof graded from either NGC or PCGS.

7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Proofs are not determined by the quality of the strike alone , as different dies and minting procedures are used. Post #45 shows my 1909 MP in the raw before I submitted it to PCGS and it was slabbed as such, maybe the edges show well enough.

8. robec

robec Junior Member

This is the closest I have seen to a 1917 Proof. The rims are a dead give away of this not being an MPL.

The coin belongs to member copper toning and is currently at PCGS for grading.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

rlm's cents, BadThad and geekpryde like this.
  9. robec

robec Junior Member

Sorry, for some reason this post entered twice.

10. Mike Carr

Mike Carr New Member

See my 1917 has a lot more detail in the hair and beard and a deeper temple on Lincoln's head, typical of a matte proof. The coin looks like it was struck twice. But your right odds are against me but if it is real and I have read many articles saying they exist. It would be the first one graded by NGC or PCGS and for me would like be hitting the lottery. No clue what it even would be worth it is one of a kind.

11. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

I believe the Red Book has delisted the 1917 proof Lincoln cent because there is no evidence they were ever struck or any exist.

robec likes this.
  12. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Damn, that is a sexy coin!

gbroke likes this.
  13. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

There is no way that will ever be graded as matte proof.
    It's just not one.

14. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Not to mention, his coin appears to have a misaligned obverse die. That's not going to happen with a matte proof.

15. Mike Carr

Mike Carr New Member

I compared my 1917 to the picture you posted of your 1917 and my coin has much more detail on the obverse. It looks more like the picture of the 1916 matte proof I found then the picture of the 1917 you have on here. I am not saying that my coin is a matte proof but I am saying there is a 1% chance it could be. They are out there and something like this would probably come out of my area since I do live in the Philadelphia area and that's where the coin was minted. Still a long shot but no evidence proving it's not a matte proof.

16. Mike Carr

Mike Carr New Member

My question is if it was a matte proof what would it be worth? 100 dollars, 1000 dollars, or even 10000 dollars? Can anyone give an estimate would it demand a lot of money or not because it wouldn't be as desirable as other rarities like the 1913 V nickel?

17. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Thought this was important and should be posted again.

rlm's cents likes this.
  18. Mike Carr

Mike Carr New Member

Who's coin are you referring to?

19. robec

robec Junior Member

Your odds are considerably higher than a 1% chance. Your odds are probably better winning the lottery. None were reported to have been minted, none have come forward in almost 100 years so I wouldn't be too confident of any being out there. There is absolutely no evidence of a matte proof Lincoln from 1917 existing.

20. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Your coin.

21. Mike Carr

Mike Carr New Member

Explain to me about this obverse die your talking about I have been collecting coins for 24 years but I am by no means an expert on Lincoln pennies I am more into silver dollars. If the coin was never minted why when you google the coin several sites say some exist. Where does it say that it was never minted. Why would it be in the 2014 red book with no value beside it. And for the last time hypothetical speaking if it was minted and I did have it what do you think it would be worth. Just a guess.

Draft saved Draft deleted