1917 proof Lincoln??

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rlm's cents, Jan 12, 2008.

1. tdec1000

tdec1000 Coin Rich, Money Poor :D

I already have twice.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

1917 happens to be the most detail stuck Lincolns I have seen. Here is my example and it has not been cleaned and appears to have as much or more detail than yours.

Attached Files:

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Yeah, but here's what you don't realize.... Not only is Mark such a humble guy as to not say it, but he WAS a grader at NGC. So, you see, he does know what he's talking about (and frankly, it doesn't take a former grader to recognize a mint state 1917 lincoln), and I believe his preceeding post suggests that he puts his money where his mouth is too.

Listen, I'm sorry to hear you got ripped off at FUN in 2001. But there's no need to pawn your mistake off on someone else, using deceptive sales techniques and a lack of a return policy hoping to stick it to some noob....Mike

5. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

Mark...while we have your attention would you please jump threads an offer an opinion on the 22-D ? Would be greatly appriciated;)

6. tdec1000

I ended the auction at the respect of my fellow members. I wasn't trying to defraud anyone which is why I put the word possible in the listing. I honestly paid the amount stated earlier. This coin looks a lot better in hand than in the pictures. Thanks for setting me straight. Tom

7. Arizona Jack

Your'e deserving of a high 5, it takes honesty and courage to do the right thing when profit is so easy. It is all we can do to fight the good fight, and while we may all not agree on grade, price, value, raw, slab etc, we do all know what is right.

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

While I might stop short of a high-five, ending the auction was the right thing to do, and the seller should be given credit for that....Mike

9. Magman

Magman U.S. Money Collector

good job on taking it down.
    Now you can just relist it with the correct info, or perhaps it would be better to sell it at another auction house?

edit: next time, maybe before you list, post pictures and such here.
    we'd be more than happy to grade it and give our opinions on it.

10. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

Thumbs up to you tdec. :thumb: I do believe that there might be Matte Proofs out there for 1917, I don't think this is one of them. Rims don't look close to being right, nor the texture on it. I am no way an expert, be happy to be compared to a novice, but that is my opinion. 1917 like stated earlier is know for extremely great looking Lincolns, like yours. tdec, can I recomend you sending it too ANACS? They will slab it if it's been cleaned, and if you still have a bit of a hunch it's a proof, then I'd strongly recomend sending it in. You have it in hand, we don't unfortunatly. Best of luck with whatever you decide. :thumb:

Phoenix :cool:

11. Mark Feld

Mark Feld Rare coin dealer

While many coins need to be seen in hand to make assessments regarding their business strike VS. Proof status, this coin is not one of them. It doesn't resemble a matte Proof in any way, shape (OK, its the right shape) or form. Still, I give the seller credit for not digging his heels in and eventually doing the right thing.

12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

This is the look of an average matte proof.
    The 1917 posted is not a proof.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

tdec1000
    Considering the above, I am sorry to hear that you have (apparently) been taken by another dealer.
    Is there any chance that you could return it to the seller?
    A reputable dealer would take it back as misrepresented.
    Good luck.

14. bajablu

bajablu New Member

I heard an example was graded at one time, when and by who I dont know. I bet their out there, but the rumors will keep them at bay for awhile I think.

I really think they are out there.

I dont know the whole story behind this situation but it sounds like the seller is trying to be honest. As to the description, it is a bit confusing.

Is posting a picture here the same as the other forums?

thanks in advance...

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Here's how - post away - How To Post Pics

16. tdec1000

17. Arizona Jack

With these matte proofs, again, buy the book before the coin !!!!

Both the Lange and the Wexler book have chapters with each date and the diagnostics for each die, a must to research before buying the coin.

This 1913 shows just whats supposed to be there, hairlines in die and polish areas where it's supposed to be, making authentication very easy. The 09VDB is real tricky ( they all are ) but with the proper information and a good loupe, there is no mistaking a business strike for the MP

book before coin
    book before coin
    book before coin

write it 100 times before you go shopping, lol !!!!!

18. bajablu

bajablu New Member

here are a few mattes to look at...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

Wow man, only thing stopping me from buying one is the lack of money in my wallet! ROTFL. :D They are very gorgeous coins IMO. :bow:

Phoenix :cool:

20. bajablu

bajablu New Member

Thanks, I have 3 more but the pics suck. I have another coming. I will take some more pics toninte and update.

They are a bit pricey but they are so much fun to look at.

My gem red 09svdb sucks next to these.

21. 213sarah

213sarah Member

picture 2381.jpg picture 2382.jpg WHAT IS THIS? I found this penny! It has flate rim and full square edge. Deep Brown in color and has very odd field surface and hase. Could i get some input on this coin? thanks! 213sarah

Draft saved Draft deleted