1917 penny double die

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by gubni, Jun 29, 2013.

1. gubni

gubni Active Member

I recently got a 1917 double die penny. I want to sell it because I'm not into really rare coins. I don't have camera equipment good enough at this time to post up pics since it's only a small double die. It is in great condition and still has some original red to it. Should I send it off to be graded or just get a better camera and sell it raw?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

You need to post photos. No offense, people will be wary of buying from someone that just "claims to have a double die" without pictures, especially when the correct definition is doubled ​die. For all we know, it could be mechanical doubling or die deterioration.

4. redwin117

redwin117 Junior Member

Just get a better CAMERA now is a part of your INVESTMENT...The CAMERA will help you a lots of things.. Make it sure your CAMERA will capture the closes Details of the coin.

5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Hard to say anything without photos. Doubled die coins are probably the most misunderstood and misattributed coins there are. You can always try scanning it at the highest resolution you can get with the background masked out and someone might be able to help you.

6. tgaw

tgaw Member

pictures please

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Send it in if you are sure of what it is. That's not a coin to sell raw.

8. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

I need to see it I would buy it but pics r important, getting it graded is to

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

What do they tend to sell for? Is it high enough to justify having it slabbed and properly identified? This could easily cost $50 or more. And then you STILL need to have good pictures. If you don't want to slab it, do you want to invest the funds into buying the better camera? (It actually doesn't take a great camera to get good pictures.) You might be able to get someone else to make acceptable images for you.

10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

There have been a large number of MD on 1917 coins offered as the DDO. The 1917 DDO date is doubled almost straight vertically, and since most are very worn, you have to look at that first. The horizontal cap of the "7" should be twice the thickness, whereas the vertical of the "7" is normal width. In better condition 1917 DDO, the "9" easily shows separation. It is as strong as the 1936 DDO #1. Not many raw ones still roaming free.

11. gubni

gubni Active Member

I finally got my camera to take a good pic. It was an optical illusion created by the redness near the letters in contrast to the brown causing a shadow effect. When I took the pics it became clear to me that I had made a mistake. At least I didn't waste money sending it to be graded.

Attached Files:

12. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Sorry it didn't turn out to be doubled, but if it's any consolation, that coin is gorgeous.

13. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Good call.

14. gubni

gubni Active Member

Yeah, but I'd rather have a $1600 coin than a $16 coin, lol.

I pushed it into my Whitman folder and removed my heavily worn version.

15. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

Nice one, though definitely

Draft saved Draft deleted