1917 newfoundland 50 cent piece strike

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by maggie123, Jul 13, 2011.

1. maggie123

maggie123 maggie123

i have about 8 of these 1917 newfoundland 50 cent pieces. on one that bought today i noticed the date and maybe the lettering is only half as thick as the other ones. would this be a strike cause or is this an error. i dont
    have a pic right now but i will post one soon. theres not a lot of wear so i dont think its a wear issue. could this just be a different variety. thoughts please

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. maggie123

maggie123 maggie123

1917 newfoundland 50 cent piece

i just had a closer look and all the letters and writing is nearly 50 % thinner

4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I think we need to see it before we can have any definite conclusions. One possibility is a counterfeit, another might be an over polished die. (On an over polished die the lettering gets thinner and further apart.) I don't know varieties in this series so a different variety MIGHT be a possibility, assuming that they did make changes. Not grease filling because that can makes letters shallower or fainter, it doesn't make them thinner.

5. MatticusFinch

MatticusFinch New Member

There are 3 varieties in this 1917 series and I would love to see yours, maybe's it's a fourth...

6. maggie123

maggie123 maggie123

i was not aware of any variations. ill post a pic in the next day or so. can you tell me more about the variety's or if theres any books or info available on newfoundland coins and varietys other than the charlton guide of 2011 for coins. in canada or newfoundland.i have a coin book from 1962 canadian, newfoundfland and world coins as well as bills its only small but a ton or pics and info. im curious as i have over 1000 newfoundland coins

7. MatticusFinch

MatticusFinch New Member

You won't find many varieties in the NFLD pages in the Charlton as Bill Charlton has his own agenda when it comes to classifying NFLD coins. There are an obscene amount of varieties for NFLD coinage though. Check the bottom part of the "7" some curve some are straight. Also there are some re-engraved varieties too.

Draft saved Draft deleted