1917 D Type 1 SLQ, FH or No? MS or not quite?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by scguy, Sep 9, 2022.

1. scguy

scguy Active Member

Got this for $125 today... Couldn't get out of there quick enough. Wondering if this has enough detail to be designated FH? Also curious what you would grade it at.

IMG-7542.jpg IMG-7543.jpg PICT0062.jpg PICT0063.jpg PICT0067.jpg

Inspector43, MIGuy and Steven Shaw like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

Hello SCguy,
    Most 'Full Heads' have a bit more 'hair modeling', although I think you are 95% there.
    Just one TXguy opinion,
    J.T.

MIGuy, scguy and Paddy54 like this.
  4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Im at an Au coin and agree its real close to a FH but....I think a TPG would say no. Still a nice coin.
    This is an Au 58 FH downloadfile-47_1.jpeg

5. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

I'd say an AU55, but I'm on the fence on the hair detail at the back as to whether or not it is FH. That's a beauty though. I paid $145 for a raw coin at auction that I thought was an AU50 - 55 but it came back an EF45. You got a bargain (lol, if you want to unload it as is at a profit, let me know ;) ) Here is my EF45 so you can compare.
    17dobv-crop.JPG 17drev-crop.JPG

mrweaseluv and scguy like this.
  6. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

It's very close but not quite I think.. still a beautiful coin
    This is my FH yours seems just a little light on the hair detail... Then again it might slide through but it is a close call :D
    20220613_194116.jpg

scguy, Paddy54 and MIGuy like this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

An AU coin but while complete it’s not a full head.

scguy likes this.
  8. charley

charley Well-Known Member

If you are happy with the coin, that is all that matters. As to grade (and FH designation) submit to a TPG for opinion, because the coin in hand for evaluation is best.

scguy likes this.
  9. scguy

scguy Active Member

I’m definitely happy with it! Just trying to get better at grading by eye, and didn’t quite know how to judge the type 1 FH. Thanks for the help

charley and mrweaseluv like this.
  10. scguy

scguy Active Member

This graded 62 FH with ANACS!

MIGuy and Jim Dale like this.
  11. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

Congrats! No doubt you stole this for $125.

scguy likes this.
  12. psuman08

psuman08 Active Member

Great purchase, congrats!

scguy likes this.
  13. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I looked for an SLQ like yours and couldn't get one for less than a couple of hundred. The SLQ is my favorite quarter. I bought the gold 2016 for about $490.
    Thanks for showing your SLQ. It's really nice.

MIGuy and scguy like this.
  14. scguy

scguy Active Member

Wow, didn’t even know that gold coin existed. I think the SLQ has become my favorite coin, breast exposed or not :D

15. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Miss on fh. But not by a ton. Au 55 my grade with a quick enough study.

16. scguy

scguy Active Member

Nope, 62 FH 4C515FA9-75CA-40C7-8FF6-8F0A1C3C6627.jpeg

MIGuy likes this.
  17. Mainebill

Sorry I disagree. Paddy’s a obvious 58. I could see that at 62. Yours overgraded. I think pcgs or ngc would agree

18. scguy

scguy Active Member

Just conveying the grade I received, maybe my pictures were lacking. Not like it’s ICG or something….

19. Mainebill

Honestly I’d trust icg if @Insider graded it. To me it’s a pretty au. That’s it. And yeah I know how to grade coins. Almost 40 years of numismatics and several years as a dealer who bought raw coins to submit or graded coins to submit to cac my grade stands at 55.

20. scguy

scguy Active Member

I’m not doubting you, as I implied before don’t shoot the messenger. But isn’t ANACS generally considered to be more conservative with their grading?

Also, let’s be honest, I see way too many ICG “65” or “66” Morgans that I can tell (with way less experience than you) aren’t. Don’t see many, if any clear as day inaccurate ANACS holdered coins like that

Last edited: Oct 28, 2022
  21. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

From the photos in the op, I see an AU coin. The rims are completely gray,from wear, and there is loss of high point luster. 55 to 58 seems right, imo.

Jeffjay likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted