1917 5 kopek - how "rare" is this?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by GeorgeM, Dec 21, 2020.

1. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

I picked this up the other day. The seller warned me that they didn't know if it was an altered date or not, and I decided to roll the dice.

According to Krause, the 1916 is a semi-key issue (with 8 million minted, but the vast majority likely melted down or lost due to the messy end of ww1 & the start of the Russian civil war). The 1917 mintage is unknown and Krause just lists the issue as "rare" on their value chart.

Have any of these sold in auction recently? Or, are there fakes that anyone else has encountered?

20201221_094359.jpg 20201221_094350.jpg 20201221_094341.jpg 20201221_094331.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

AmishJedi likes this.
  4. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

:confused: 1. How would "they" :blackeye: go about altering the date on a coin with the numerals recessed into the surface?

:oops: 2. How much did you pay :greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy: for a v.rare coin with no price listed in the catalogue? :jawdrop:

5. serdogthehound

serdogthehound Well-Known Member

No certified copies at either PCGS or NGC. So it interesting if real

Insider likes this.
  6. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

serdogthehound, posted: "No certified copies at either PCGS or NGC. So it interesting if real."

Well, it is C H R I S T M A S! ;)

7. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

The details look very wrong. Can you please take a photo of the edge?

As this coin is struck in the last year, coins of 1916 and 1917 should have barely circulated.

8. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

There appears to be a raised area around the numeral 7 which would cause concern for me. I own a BU example of the 1912 date of the bronze 5 kopek coin and even it was a PITA to find, in fact I got it from Romania.

GeorgeM likes this.
  9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

10. offa the saxon

offa the saxon Well-Known Member

Doesn’t look quite right to me. The area around the 7 looks to have been altered

11. mrbadexample

mrbadexample Well-Known Member

12. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

$50. The VF price for a 1916 date. Figured it was worth a roll of the dice.

Draft saved Draft deleted