1916 standing liberty quarter grade?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by johnny54321, Jan 30, 2011.

1. johnny54321

johnny54321 aspiring numismatist

These aren't my pictures, but I am wondering what your opinions are from what you can see?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PFCBEGA

PFCBEGA Staff Numismatist HA.com

If indeed it is a 16 (I don't know the diagnostics) it wouldn't get more than an AG3 because of the lack of date in my opinion

4. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

Looks to be genuine , authentic and probably would grade G-4 , at least . Nice looking example .

5. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

Monday at our club meeting, a vg 1918s QT was put up for auction. It went for $40.00, and I feel it may have been a 1918s over 1917s. My fellow member who bought it, will let me know later if it is a 1918s over 1917s. :)-O) The pictures you have look like a 1916. I hope you find out for sure.

6. johnny54321

PFCBEGA: All 4 digits of the date look to be partially visible, just very faint. Look closely at the top right picture.

7. PFCBEGA

PFCBEGA Staff Numismatist HA.com

For the life of me i can't see them but i trust your eyes more than my own, if they are indeed visible it should get a 4 then

8. USMoneylover

USMoneylover Active Member

I think it is a 1916 G-4 as well, nice coin...I like it.

9. johnny54321

thanks. Yeah, I think it may have a shot at a 4 or 6 depending on how strong the date is in hand(most 4s only have 1 digit visible). I will have better pictures in a few days, and will most likely be submitting to ANACS or PCGS.

10. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

From the pics I'd have to go with AG-3 , but if all of the date is there it'll probably go G-4 .
    rzage

11. johnny54321

thanks for the opinions. :smile If you look through the certified ones on Heritage, the 1916 does not have all of the date until at least the F-12 grade.

12. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Whenever I use the ANA 6TH Edition , I undergrade , they're very conservative . The 1916 is a whole different animal than the '17s anyway .
    rzage

13. johnny54321

updated pictures.

Here are some updated pictures. The date is definitely weak. There is only definition in the bottom of the 6 and nine, and shadows of the other digits. This detail compares with certified 4s and 6s on Heritage, but I think PCGS would only give it a 4. Still decent for what I paid though.:cool:

Attached Files:

14. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

From the new photos, it looks like you can almost make out the lower portion of the "6". Nice find. Even in AG or G4 that coin is worth some serious coin.

15. johnny54321

Here is a closeup of the date. The bottom of the "916" are visible.

Attached Files:

16. Doug21

Doug21 Coin Hoarder

what did it grade ?

17. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Nice get it graded.

18. johnny54321

Problem Free G-4:D

Attached Files:

19. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Woot!! Woot!!
    I bet you loved that.

20. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for the coin?

-Brian

21. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

congrats Johnny!!! That's a great catch!

Draft saved Draft deleted