1916 Mercury Dime

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by USS656, Jul 30, 2015.

1. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

Going through a collection I will likely buy yesterday and came across this MD. Shocked me so much I dropped it when it came out of the roll. :wideyed: That doesn't happen often, I promise!

[​IMG]

Picked it up and turned it over.

[​IMG]

:depressed::depressed::depressed: - Too bad, we will never know...

paddyman98 and spirityoda like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

so sad.
    :)

USS656 and spirityoda like this.
  4. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

I know I'm gonna rile some feathers, but I would think an acid treated 1916-D would be more than the 1916 cull in that state.

5. USS656

Don't think the thought hasn't crossed my mind.

6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

what acid?

The acid for Buff nickels won't work.

7. USS656

Why not? Any kind of mild acid.

8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

You can always buy this one or make an offer at David Lawrence Auctions! :woot:
    I want to share this picture with you from Ebay (not mine) -
    MD.JPG

9. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

I have *not* tried this - ever, so don't quote me as doing it - or even having any sort of confidence in it. Merely an idea - and probably one to experiment with before using it on a coin you think has potential high value.

The acid in the "gold and silver" test kits is designed to eat away anything that isn't silver. I believe it's nitric acid, I never bothered to look up the chemical makeup.

I would think that a drop of it on top of the mint mark may eat away at the non-silver metals underneath - and if enough of the foundation of the mint mark exists, it may allow the other metal to melt away around it. And I would think that the silver would be eaten at a slower rate along with any soft metal that had been pushed around it.

Otherwise the nitric acid (nic-a-date) would probably also work - although I would think much faster than it does on a nickel because of the metal hardness. I'm not a chemist, only someone that likes to experiment.

I would encourage qualified chemists (and brave alchemists) to join in the discussion at this point - because my idea is purely theoretical.

In a similar proverb of panning for gold - you simply pick up the pile of gold, and get rid of everything that isn't.

I would recommend experimenting on a common date coin though. This would help you figure out concentration of acid and duration of reaction. It would be awful to see a "D" appear - and then disappear.

I would test doing it in small increments. Acid for a few seconds, then wash in distilled water. Next extend a few seconds, etc... It may take some time.

And please remember - safety first!

Draft saved Draft deleted