1916 Lincoln Wheat Penny-Brown Toning Obverse,Red Toning Reverse?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Rosalita, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Rosalita

Rosalita Active Member

Hi guys,

I found this 1916 Wheat penny while coin jar hunting and was wondering about the toning on this coin. The obverse has brown toning and the reverse has red toning. Could this 2 toning have occurred from sitting in a glass jug with a lot of other pennies? Is this 2 sided toning rare?

Also wanted to ask weather this is a proof penny? I read that square rims are an indication of a proof pennies. How can you tell for sure when searching old pennies?

I have attached 2 photo's to show the obverse and reverse at the same time after being photographed in a mirror in a coin flip.(which was not that easy to do!) 1916 Wheat Penny (Obverse) Brown Toned.jpg 1916 Wheat Penny (Reverse) Red Toned.jpg 1916 Wheat Penny Obverse & Reverse.jpg 1916 Wheat Penny Obverse & Reverse2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

I got nothing. Wait for the experts on this subject.

4. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Appears to have been in an album at some point, allowing the reverse to stay reddish while the obverse toned with age.
    As to it being a proof cent, I don't think so, it is just years of wear causing the edge of the rim to flatten out. Might have had a cud on the reverse left side, given the wear. JMHO

Robert Ransom likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted