1916 Double Die Buffalo Nickel

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by cheifwigwam, May 15, 2014.

1. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I doubt that simply going to any coin shows near him will allow for a PCGS or NGC walk-through.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. xGAJx

xGAJx Happy

Honestly, I have no clue how it works in different countries with that service.
    But, I would not trust mailing it. Anything could happen.

4. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

Which is why I suggested emailing PCGS and NGC to find out if they offer direct submission in the U.K. If they say, one show a year, etc., then the problem's solved. Just sit back and wait. In the meantime, you might contact Spink in Bloomsbury, London, about their sales by auction or private treaty. If your coin is genuine, it's a prestigious item for any auction house, who should quote a discount to manage the sale.

5. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Neither do I, but I did a quick search, and while nothing came up for PCGS, NGC did list a "Coinex" show in London this September, but without on-site. This gentleman has many options, so there is no need to rush into anything; taking his time and doing his homework will likely pay off in the end.

doug444 likes this.
  6. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Pcgs has a office in Paris,I would also contact Christies, Spinks,or Sotherbey (can't remember correct spelling)

With Spink's being the first one to contact, as they would do most everything for you.

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

My initial thought was it looked like the real thing, but with more looking I have some concerns. The strike is unusually strong and the coin shows strong finning of the rim on the right obv. I'm not aware of such finning on other genuine pieces, but at least one of the chinese counterfeiters commonly has strong finning on most of his products.

8. xGAJx

xGAJx Happy

It's sothbey's, and since your on the internet you can search it you know!;)

9. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Ok SA, I'm driving ATM and the information that you provided gave tremendous insight

10. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

"Finning" of the rim is not unusual on this coin . . .

11. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

this thread is a really good read.

12. ToughCOINS

My cost to submit a coin like this would be $110 USD plus shipping both ways.

The grading services do not charge a percentage of value for grading the coin, however 0.5% of $30K USD is $150 USD which, coincidentally or not, is pretty close to what you'd have to spend including insured shipment.

13. ToughCOINS

I think you should have a little fun, hop a plane to Newport Beach or Sarasota and go to Disneyland or Disneyworld while you have it graded . . . takes out the risk, and finds a good use for some of that windfall.

14. doug444

"...It's sothbey's, and since your on the internet you can search it you know!"

First of all, it's Sotheby's. Second, they are not known for numismatic sales, but for art, antiquities, and antiques. Third, in the past two decades, they have been involved in court actions regarding price-fixing (with Christie's, their chief competitor) and sale of illegal artifacts, etc., and paid a substantial fine. Fourth, they are now a U.S. company, chartered in New York City.

[I mentioned Spink hours ago.]

I still contend the coin needs to be graded by an American TPG, period. No one can predict what a foreign grader might decide, and that could be a$20,000 mistake.

15. doug444

It's almost impossible to get full insurance coverage back and forth to the U.K., especially on the return trip, U.S. outbound.

16. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

WOW! Great find! And for less than US$10, too!
    This thread is better than watching Antiques Roadshow.

17. cheifwigwam

cheifwigwam New Member

Thanks for all your responses this is what I have decided to do
    I have emailed PCGS and NGC to see if they offer a direct submission service in the uk(as recommended by doug444 thank you!!)
    Monday I will ring spink see if they can help me out
    im not going to jump to conclusions yet as some body pointed out it could be a chinese counterfeit, well there is always that chance I suppose.... we will see!!!
    as of yet I haven't received a reply from either the PCGS or the NGC but when I do I will keep you informed
    thanks again cheifww

18. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I've looked at several others online and with the exception of one piece on the Coinfacts page none of them had finning. The Coinfacts did, but not as extensive as on this coin.

19. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

Finning?

20. ToughCOINS

Raised rim . . .

21. ToughCOINS

While I haven't noticed this on all pieces, I've seen it on a couple of exceptional examples, and you're right, it does show up on more than one example in CoinFacts. It may be that the rim has worn down on most examples to the point that the raised rim is not widely considered diagnostic.

Draft saved Draft deleted