1916 Dime overstrike???

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Garlicus, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

Another member posted this coin that he was considering buying, and it appeared to me to be an overstrike. I messaged the original poster to let him know what I saw, and to try and ensure that he, or I, would get the coin. Unfortunately, neither of us won the auction (I yielded to him at a lower price, as it was "his" coin).

I am posting his original pic and mine with markings. Is anyone else seeing an overstrike, where this coin was minted over another coin (for better or worse)? It really shows if you can get clear magnification, like on an ipad or other device.

In a couple of days, after the coin should have been shipped, I am going to ask the seller to pass this info along to the buyer, in hopes that it is inspected for what I think I see.

1916 Dime.jpg 1916 Merc b.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

What I'm seeing is either die polish or cleaning hairlines directly in front of and behind Liberty, and not much else. The parts you've circled in red look like they might be die deterioration to me, but I'll yield to one of the real experts here to tell you for sure.

4. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

This is the same coin in another thread started yesterday. Did you start that "beautiful 1916d" thread?

I don't see anything other than pmd.

5. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

It appears to me to be die corrosion rather than an overstrike. The center lines appear to have attempted to polish the corrosion from the flat surfaces of the die, but they likely were unable to remove it in the recessed areas of the die.

Most Mercury Dimes were struck quite late in 1916 and likely these dies sat idle waiting for permission to be used. It is possible that the dies might have corroded during that time.

6. Garlicus

I did not, but yes, this was in a thread yesterday, which is where I saw it.

I will try and post better pics soon, showing what I am talking about. The OP's pic shows it better at the moment.
    EX:
    - upside down E W under the neck
    - date or letters near L I in Liberty
    - possible GOD under IGWT (although wouldn't make sense if E W is upside down)

7. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Ok I see what can be construed as "God" under trust next to the neck but that's just a mirage. If it was from a double strike or dropped letter block it would be the evact same size and symmetry of the actual god which it is not. The "letters" looks smaller and out of alignment plus the G looks like a 6... I do see what you think you see though in terms of that area on the bottom pic without circles

8. Garlicus

Not necessarily struck over another WL Dime, which would account for lettering differences. Could be a counterfeit, genuine overstrike by the Mint, or nothing at all.

9. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Not sure I follow. Are you saying it could have been struck by dies from a different series? That is called a double denomination error but which series being struck at the Philly mint in 1916 would have motto lettering smaller than a Merc dime?

10. Garlicus

Maybe an earlier dime or other coin; or a Roosie was used to counterfeit it.....or none of the above

11. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Just what I was going to say , looks like a lot of CWTs . Good answer Mike .

Paul M. likes this.
  12. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

This might be a good time to research clashing artifacts, metal flow and die deterioration on the Mercury Dime. I though my post in the other thread would have completely stopped this line of thinking; guess I was wrong.

13. Garlicus

Probably the best I can do without the actual coin in hand.
    1916 dime c.jpg 1916 dime d.jpg 1916 dime e.jpg

14. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I'm comfortable with mikenoodle's explanation.

15. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Got a link to that other thread .

16. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

17. Garlicus

Guessing no one will see the A and possibly 2 other letter on this one either, lol. (Yes, I know how small they are, and no, I haven't a clue where they may have originated)
    The hallucinogens from my youth must be up with me, lol.

1916 A2.jpg

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted