1916-D Dime... Real or Fake?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Silversmith221, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Incharge

Incharge Active Member

If it's real , in good condition $1000.00 + grade vg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

I'm in the market for one of these. This is why I would only consider one in a slab.

Plus, I wanta be here when it comes back.

4. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

About the mm being high.
    I did notice how strong the mm was, considering the wear.
    On every other 1916 I have seen with this much wear around the rim edge, the
    mm is covered and disappears. Why is this mm intact with so much wear in the
    normal mm area? I'm not saying it is a fake, just unusual to have such a legible mm when you consider the extreme circulation.
    Please post the results if and when you send it in for grading.

5. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I think ICG is also excellent for authentication, price probably comparable to ANACS.
    there is also rotation of the reverse die relative to the obverse for each of the 4 rev. dies. If you line the obv. up so it is perfectly vertical and flip the coin over, the 12:00 of the rev. is rotated as follows. die 1: counterclockwise to 11:45; die 2: clockwise to 1:00; die 3: clockwise to 12:45; die 4: clockwise to 12:15.

6. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I'm also concerned about the shape of the D, and the lack of wear on its base, given the extensive wear on the rest of the coin. The metal looks strange to the SE, as others have mentioned.

7. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

And i read that give a discount if you sre a CT member.

8. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

There are more fake 16-Ds than real ones. It is a coin that should ALWAYS be certified to remove all doubt as there are just too many fakes out there.

9. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

I knew that.

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Actually, it's trust and verify.........

11. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

If we’re going to be correct, President Reagan’s quote was “trust but verify”

12. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Good info @Silversmith221 ? Your name is a little puzzling, I got my eye on you?:watching:

Draft saved Draft deleted