1916 Barber Dime - to grade or not to grade…that is the question…

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Mark Metzger, Jun 7, 2022.

1. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Well, if that is so, your photos show a details coin, as there are cleaning marks, not only on the fields, but devices as well. We can keep this up forever, Mark, or you can get confirmation one way, or another from a TPG. You are going to flip the coin, anyway, so why get so passionate?

You tend to buy details looking coins, as you see them as a good buy, when you buy raw. Hey, if that floats your boat, you are the one living with the coin, not me. Honestly, I could care less. I posted the other coin to show that most MS coins of that age have a patina, not a blast white look. I agree that the other photos are nowhere near as detailed, but they do show original color. Your coin is NOT original color.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2022
    Cheech9712 and AdamL like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. charley

charley Well-Known Member

I wish somebody would send the darn thing to some place somewhere. Now. The alternative is the Hubble. Aura has some open time.

4. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

If I had it, I would send it in. Mark, just let me know when you get it back, so I know if I owe you $38 dollars, or if you owe the $38. If I am wrong, I will happily pay up, and publicly admit I am wrong.

charley likes this.
  5. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Send it in. If you want a MS holder

6. Cheech9712

Just pay the 38 bucks no matter what. And no apology needed. I was hoping Op would send it in. But you bone crushed that idea. Damn. Can see your right now. You have good advice

Last edited: Jun 11, 2022
  7. Cheech9712

Funny stuff. You got a giggle. I love wit

8. Cheech9712

Cool beans

9. What a great icon/avatar Is one available in a more Southern flavor?

Scott J likes this.
  10. ABSOLUTELY send for grading but a professional restoration is in order first

11. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

I honestly thought it was cleaned as well when I first saw this post a few days ago. So I'm commenting so I can see if it goes for grading and what the results are.

AdamL likes this.
  12. Tamaracian

Tamaracian 12+ Yr Member--Supporter

@Mark Metzger you're welcome Mark; I have used them to good success for auctioning both raw and Slabbed coins.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  13. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

What kind of “professional restoration” do you have in mind? The thing has already been dipped bright white. “Professional restoration” does not include smoothing surfaces and artificial toning unless you believe that coin doctors are true professionals.

14. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I agree with johnmilton's assessment on a previous page, best case is the coin grades low MS; the second set of photos shows parallel lines on the cheek, either from cleaning or album "slide marks," and the surfaces look overly bright for an uncleaned coin imo. Add up these various probabilities and it's just not worth the investment to send it in for grading . Agree with others that it would like nice in an album.

15. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I just auctioned a similar 1916 that I bought raw and got an unc details grade from PCGS. I think I paid $70 for it and it sold tonight at GC for $89. Adding the grading and seller fees I took a slight loss on this one. I had hoped that when sending that coin in for grading it would come back with a straight grade but of course I had my reservations all along.

Cheech9712 and ksparrow like this.
  16. Cheech9712

I say grade it just to keep that pretty coin protected to say the least. Great reverse great pictures.

Draft saved Draft deleted