1915 Souvenir California Penny PPIE/PCE

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by GeorgeM, Jun 2, 2016.

1. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

Got this from an estate batch and am not having much luck attributing it. It's larger than a silver dollar, so it's too big to fall into the So-Called Dollar series. Normally, I'd set it aside and move on to the SCD's that I focus on, but this has some very interesting artwork and hints of luster. I would guess that it grades AU55 to AU58.

It appears to be the same as this example:
    http://www.tipsicocoin.com/browse_item.html?category_id=3133&item_id=2156

The "smaller piece" or Type I example that the dealer mentions brought a pretty penny at Heritage even in "improperly cleaned" condition:
    http://coins.ha.com/itm/expositions...168.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Differences between the two types (in addition to their size) include the use of laurel leaves instead of oak leaves on the reverse, as well as the absence of a maker's mark on the larger piece.

Attached Files:

lordmarcovan likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

So I guess yours is the one possibly made by the LA Rubber Stamp Co., and not the holy grail that Heritage sold, too bad but still a nice one. You can find those on ebay every now and then but I don't remember the ending sales price.

4. GeorgeM

When did LA Rubber Stamp Co make their version? I recently purchased a "Swingers Club" medal that NGC attributed to them, and would like to learn more about their operations if possible.

The impression I had is that they came into possession of many old merchant token dies somewhere around the 1950s and restruck certain ones for unknown purposes (perhaps simply for the souvenir and numismatic markets?). If there's more story to it than that, I'm curious. As in this case - did they also make some of their own dies with designs inspired by other medals?

5. fretboard

Hey George,
    I wanted to get back to you on this b/c I have one these "pure copper" just like yours. Have you found out how much they sell for? Here's a pic of another medal type item made by LA Stamp Co. Most of their stuff are reproductions like you said however most collectors won't buy them. I won't either. For one reason or another, I am having trouble posting pics on this forum. I don't get it. Anyways, here's a link to another LA Stamp co reproduction. I'll try to upload a pic of my copper once I figure what the problem is. ~cheers!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-DRINK-COC...730951?hash=item1eb3184487:g:HSoAAOSwRjNXOTUJ

6. GeorgeM

No luck so far. I'm not convinced that this was a restrike made by LA stamp - I haven't found anything that would suggest that other than your reply.

The Coca Cola tokens are kinda cool. At least on one of those, I suspect that "LA stamp" was added when restrikes were made.

7. fretboard

8. fretboard

Best pics I could get. Same medal as yours. I don't think its a restrike from LA Stamp either. I think its interesting that some have the US Pat Applied for stamped on them and others don't, some only say Pure Copper on them like mine. I couldn't get a pic of that, too hard to do, that night anyway. :watching: IMG_4506.JPG IMG_4487.JPG IMG_4495.JPG IMG_4508.JPG

GeorgeM likes this.
  9. Qasimja

Qasimja New Member

quick question offtopic how did you get the pictures so close like that? what type of camera setup are you using

10. GeorgeM

I used a camera phone on mine, and cropped to get closer. But, for smaller tokens or coins, I have a dental imaging tool I use (with a built in pedestal and flat focal area. It has a 2mp image sensor and was less than $40 on ebay.

11. GeorgeM

I would think the "patent applied for" medals would have been minted slightly later, right?

12. GeorgeM

Anyone buy or sell one of these recently? Trying to guesstimate the value for insurance purposes (on my inventory sheet)

Draft saved Draft deleted