1915 S Lincoln Cent

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Coinlover, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Coinlover

Coinlover The Coin Collector

Here is the 1915 S Lincoln cent I bought last week. What do you think the grade is?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ryanbrooks

ryanbrooks Active Member

I don't know how to grade Lincoln's, but I will take a guess and say VG-6 or VG-8?

4. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

I'll say it's a VG-8. Nice coin man, nice color, problem free, a very good (pun intended :D) cent IMHO! :thumb:

Phoenix :cool:

5. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

pretty nice...Imma say G-6

stainless

6. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I would have to go with the VG8, but just.

7. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

you bought coins from others when i am selling lincolns :hammer:

nice coin though :thumb:

8. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

hey spock... I didn't know you even sold coins!!!

Would you pm me as to what you sell... please?

oh, and... G+/VG

9. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I am curious - is it just me or is it a weak strike from 1 o'clock to about 7 o'clock on the reverse? I would certainly go VG on the coin, but am curious what others think about this and how it may play into the grade.

10. jetshack

jetshack Roll Hunter Extrodinare

I can't go VG on this... (I get beat up on for my lincoln grades on other forums)

The early S and D lincolns are generally fairly weakly struck and the dies were used way past what they should have, so there is a possibility that this is a weak strike.

That said, I have a hard time applying strike issues to Lincolns that are going to grade below VF.

So all that said here's my rationale.
    I don't see any wheat lines on the right stalk and about half of the ones on the left stalk are absent. So right off the bat I'm going to have a hard time giving this a VG grade but giving the coin the benefit of the doubt as goes with the strike, looking at the bowtie on the obverse I'm not seeing enough detail there to warrant anything over VG.

Looking at the reverse again though, the rim wear doesn't match the wear to the rim on the obverse. So I'm willing to go with the reverse die was well worn when this was struck.

The coin is remarkably hit free with very nice fields. It's one of the best G coins I've seen from the teens. In all honesty I almost like it better than the one I have in my album which is a VF due to the lack of hits.

11. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

I'd call it a G-6, the reverse rim is worn into the lettering

12. snaz

snaz Registry fever

I say VG 8

13. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

I'm going to split the diff between the last two posters and call it a VG-7. Honestly It could go either way G or VG

14. jetshack

jetshack Roll Hunter Extrodinare

I didn't end up giving it a numerical score... just called it G... I'll qualify my answer and say that it's a G-6. The fields are so nice on this coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted