1915 Germany Mark - Proof?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by iPen, Aug 20, 2016.

1. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Is this a proof strike? The rim to edge is sharp, which is consistent with a proof strike. It looks to have a semi-mirror finish, perhaps like a proof-like strike. Yet, there's also a very visible cartwheel luster on the reverse of the coin. Could this coin be a late strike proof from an overused proof die?

Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

Hi iPen,
    to me it looks like a business strike.
    The last years of the production show good strikes and since these coins were hoarded from June 1914 on, a lot of them survived in good condition. Especially the pieces struck at Munich Mint like yours show sometimes a
    semi Proof like look.

afantiques, iPen and micbraun like this.
  4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

guessing business strike. have someone look at a coin show.

5. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

Business strike. I own the same type coin, which I acquired for under melt. Also, mine looks even shinier, so I can't imagine that being a matte proof... unless they made those...

6. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

All the proof Marks I've seen had more reflective fields. So I concur with Rheingold, it's most likely a regular strike.

Mark coins of the German Empire can be readily found in gem BU grades, I wouldn't say "the more it shines, the more likely it's a proof"

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
    Rheingold likes this.
  7. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

I agree that many 1/2 and 1 mark coins of this time period come extremely well struck. I have a few in my collection. I am therefore inclined to say this is a regular circulation strike, but cannot be 100% sure.
    For comparison, I was able to find in the net this 1/2 mark 1915 D, same mint as the above. This is a proof coin (PP, or polierte Platte in german). You can compare with yours for striking similarity.
    1252653.jpg

micbraun likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted