1915 $2 1/2 Indian in OLD white anacs

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jwitten, Jan 16, 2017.

1. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I have a couple gold coins in the oldest ANA style holder, but this is my first in the first anacs holder (no bar codes). I think it looks pretty nice for the grade!
    jw1.jpg jw2.jpg jw3.jpg jw4.jpg jw5.jpg jw6.jpg

Here is a pcgs AU50 for comparison (though admittedly, I think this one looks rough for the grade)

27773131_37644833_2200.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yep, I should have known it was you jwitten! You always get the great looking gold coins, good for you!! Somebody's gotta do it!! thumbupp.gif

SapphireSilver and jwitten like this.
  4. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I feel you could probably upgrade it to a 55

5. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I think it could come back details due the reverse. The 14 has better surface Obverse and reverse. Just my HO.
    I like both coins, me I would keep it in old holder.

6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

7. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

You gonna tone it? :vamp:

8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Based on hairlines in the right field (especially under IGWT)?

My eyes were drawn to the scratch, but that's pretty clearly on the slab.

I've learned my lesson with these -- if I ever venture a guess as to grade, it'll be after a lot more practice.

9. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Sweet coin. Nice holder. I'd leave it.

10. Sean5150

Sean5150 Well-Known Member

OP coin has way better details in the devices, and that long reverse scratch is on the holder.

11. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Aww... What a cute future baby teething slab :drowning::bigtears::shy::headphone::D

dwhiz, Nathan401 and jwitten like this.
  12. ElKevvo

ElKevvo New Member

Nice! It is a good looking coin.

K

13. jwitten

If I knew how! ha. I actually had a "long term" experiment going with some of these in various leather pouches in different locations around the house, but none ever even showed a hint of turning.

14. SuperDave

For the record, I consider the scratch to be the defining factor for this coin, because the evidence presented here so far hasn't convinced me the coin circulated at all.

You have to approach gold with a different viewpoint, though, because the same circulation which will somewhat dull silver and copper on the exposed flat surfaces - cheek and such - can actually make gold shinier and therefore deceptive to a preconceived mindset.

15. GoldBug999

GoldBug999 Well-Known Member

No question that would now grade higher than AU-50. But, the coin is what it is - if you plan on keeping it, there is no need to regrade it.

16. jwitten

It does have a few VERY light scratches, which is normal for even MS graded coins, but the big scratch is on the holder. See the location of it from this angle:
    jw1.jpg

I agree with @SuperDave ... I am not sure this wouldn't grade MS now days.

dwhiz likes this.
  17. SuperDave

Yeah, this is one where you really want to look at the shoulder and feather tips under a loupe to see what sort of finish they have.

Draft saved Draft deleted