1914D and

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by howieh, Jul 8, 2018.

1. howieh

howieh Suzie’s hubby

Good morning all:
    Attaching (I hope) pics of 1914D Lincoln I just could not pass up a a recent auction.
    Realize not the best every obtained,especially the reverse but just wanted some opinions as to grade, G maybe.

Thanks as always

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. I agree with your grade. Decent hole filler for an album though.

Matt

4. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Obverse looks better than G. Could be F. But if that's verdigris on the reverse
    it's details.

5. There is decent detail in the bust on the obverse, but I am knocking it pretty heavy for the green in the reverse and in Lincoln's hair, the ding on the reverse, and the weak wheat ears. It could be a fine details coin in hand, but I would try to buy it as a good.

Matt

6. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

I agree that it is a decent album filler. Considering it is a key from the series, I'd recommend to invest in some Verdi Care to help neutralize and prevent the oxidation from getting worse: https://www.ebay.com/itm/VERDI-CARE...-Clean-Conserve-15-Mil-Trial-US-/282018521812.

Before investing in a product like this though, I'd make sure it is not a modified 1944D cent considering the coin was presumably bought in a raw state. This determination can be made by looking closely at the spacing in the date between the nine and the one to the right of it.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

If it's an altered 44-D would the VDB be on Lincolns jacket/shoulder?
    Look and see if that area has been ground out.
    That 1 would really have to be far right.

8. howieh

howieh Suzie’s hubby

Did examine before the auction and there is no excess spacing between the 9 and the 1. Looks legit
    and thanks for the info.

Draft saved Draft deleted