1914 Yuan Shi Kai coin with double sided heads (no tails)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by newcoincollector, Jun 25, 2014.

1. newcoincollector

newcoincollector New Member

Has anyone seen anything like this before? And how would I go about getting it appraised?

Attached Files:

• coin.jpg
      coin.jpg
      File size:
      98.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Welcome, but only one thread per subject. I removed your duplicate thread.

4. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

If you click on the error section at CoinTalk, you will find a thread that describes virtually ALL double head & double tail coins. Essentially all of them are fantasy pieces.

In the case of China coins, you will find a plethora of CoinTalk threads devoted to fakes.

There is a probably a magnet on your kitchen electric can opener. If your coin is attracted to a magnet, then it is not made of silver & would be suspect of being fake.

medoraman likes this.
  5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Once you learn how modern coins are manufactured, it will be clear to you WHY double headed coins are fakes. They physically cannot be made since obverse and reverse dies are manufactured for different press positions. So, because of this, a double headed coin really is only possible if one of the heads is incuse and reversed. In this case what happens is a coin is struck and does not leave the collar. The second coin is struck correctly on one side, and the first coin strikes the other side of the coin. So, its possible such an error could be "double headed", but one side would be in reverse and incuse, and such a coin would be a true error coin. Short of that and I believe it is simply a curiousity produced somewhere in the "People's Republic".

6. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Hello again,
    I just thought of something else that might interest you. The particular China type coin that you have posted is one of the most common fakes around. You will find them frequently discarded on the ground for unsuspecting folks to find them. Also, they frequently sell at flea markets for perhaps a dollar (sometimes much more than a dollar to unfortunate buyers). Where did you get this one?

7. Michael Bush

Michael Bush New Member

First off thank you for your response!! By the way it is silver no magnet sticks to it!! I even tried a earth magnet second it was passed down and not my grandfather but my great-grandfather, he does weigh 21 Grams exactly and one side has more detail than the other. I also took it to a coin shop where the lady said that it was silver so what would I do now again thank you for your timely response and your time.

Draft saved Draft deleted