1914 P Buffalo Nickel-DDO, 1914/3 variety, or MD?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by scguy, Aug 11, 2022.

1. scguy

scguy Active Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Yes it is the only 1914 ddo the DDO-001 best pup is the 4 in the date. As doubling can be seen on the 4 .
    Nice find 1914PDDO001b 14 of date.jpg

Nice war paint.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
    GH#75 and scguy like this.
  4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Nice find. What is on the holder?
    I like the Improperly mixed alloy.

scguy likes this.
  5. scguy

scguy Active Member

AU 55, do you think it’ll bring any premium over the regular strike 1914 P? Hard to gauge and nobody will attribute it. I didn’t realize until yesterday how much contention there was surrounding 1914 die varieties…

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Nice find and not MD.

scguy likes this.
  7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Have you tried ICG or ANACS?
    If all you are looking for is the attribution on the holder. I would check them.
    It won't garner the same resale value as an NGC or PCGS though.

scguy likes this.
  8. charley

charley Well-Known Member

I won't offer an opinion on grading from pictures/photos, but if it helps, :

Wholesale levels now- 20=$50, 40=525, 45=600, 50=780, 55=700.

For regular 14, the range from a 20 to a 55 is $18-$30. Yes, I would say it brings a premium.

Comparative info only: CAC has a pop of14, the lowest Grade is 62. Wampum is multiples above the amounts I stated.

scguy likes this.
  9. scguy

scguy Active Member

I was very surprised to find out ANACS didn’t attribute this variety, I’m not a huge fan of ICG but I may check with them. It’s a straight graded PCGS 55, I might just leave it as is and add a sticker to the back like I see on HA here and there.

10. scguy

scguy Active Member

Can you link me to where you found this info? I can’t find much besides varietyvista

11. charley

charley Well-Known Member

You are welcome to visit my home....(don't hit me). The info is up to date Greysheet, up to date CAC Greysheet, up to date CAC pop reports, etc. Takes a few $ to view in real time all of their mailed publications. You could also navigate (and join) the CAC Boards, and present the question in a forum, and most likely get a response from the front office, including the Greysheet rep., who has a thread on pricing questions/considerations in the Greysheet publications.

It is in a PCGS 55. The best path, is contact PCGS and ask for re-consideration. So it may cost more, or may down grade. Or, it may upgrade. Does it really matter, though? I also suggest calling CAC and ask if the coin/variety would be accepted for evaluation below MS 60. For the cost of a PCGS review...and realizing that cost all in may be $75+ all in, and for $16.00 for a CAC evaluation, why not? You are still multiples ahead, if the variety is added. Otherwise, leave it in the present casket. I can not see the piece in hand, so I can not offer and opinion of the validity of the variety.

scguy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted