1914 Muera Huerta Peso Mystery

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by LostDutchman, Jan 15, 2014.

1. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Hi gang!

I picked this piece up out of another dealers "counterfeit" box at a show this past weekend. The piece looked nice and crude as I like to see in Mexican revolutionary strikes. I thought the piece may have been genuine and I bought it for the nominal price the dealer had it marked. As I study this piece more... I'm finding myself stumped. The coin is supposed to weigh 23.8 grams and is supposed to be silver. My piece weighs 19.7 grams and a light edge test does not react for silver. Apparently there are copper and brass examples known to exist as well as contemporary cast counterfeits. Anyone have experience with these?

Here is my piece.
    IMG_0533.JPG IMG_0535.JPG

Here is a genuine die struck piece that sold at heritage.
    1914-2.jpg 1914-1.jpg

sonlarson likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

That is a nice example even if fake. I like it. From what I have read about coinage during the Mexican Revolution, anything and everything was used. Including Copper wire from telegraph lines. A lot of coins were sand cast from original coins and were very crude. I can't find any example of that coin in anything but Silver, but anything is possible. A link to an article on the coin if anyone is interested in the history.

http://www.resplandores.us/mexico/km-622-1914.html

Draft saved Draft deleted