1914 Mexico 2 Pesos Guerrero DDR Error! - Info Request

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by iPen, May 26, 2016.

1. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

I was unable to find much info on this DDR variety for this 1914 Mexico 2 Pesos Guerrero silver/gold coin. In fact, much of the spec info seems to be up in the air for this coin (KM# 643). The one I have weighs in at 24.75 grams and is approximately 39mm. NGC's page doesn't have any weight info for this coin, and gives a range of 38.25mm - 39.6mm. Whereas, Numista's page states that the weight of this coin ranges from 21.71g - 26.54g, and gives a diameter of 39mm. So, this coin appears to fall within those specs. It's also definitely not magnetic, as I tested it for magnetism using an N52 neodymium magnet.

Does anyone know which specific KM# this is, and any other spec info such as % composition of silver (gold content is a mere 595 mg)? I would think that it's KM# 643 followed by an alpha-numeric character such as KM# 643.1, 643.2, etc., since the 643 catalog page states that "many varieties exist", but none appear on NGC's site from what I can tell.

As for the coin itself, the doubling is obvious and strong, and some areas make me think that there is tripling doubling going on to the left of one of the central mountains. The condition of the coin isn't too great, and it doesn't help that this coin was struck very crudely in the first place.

I only found 3 other catalog numbers:
    upload_2016-5-26_17-34-57.png
    upload_2016-5-26_17-39-33.png

KM# 643a (this is copper, so this isn't it...):

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide...pesos-dos-km-643a-1914-cuid-57502-duid-155379

KM# Pn 647 (this has a weight of 0.3g - either it's a typo or this is the wrong one):
    https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide...pesos-dos-km-pn647-1914-cuid-22784-duid-66990

KM# Pn 674
    https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide...-pesos-dos-km-pn674-1914-cuid-3060-duid-13435

Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    sonlarson likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

It's KM643. They're mostly like yours. A better pic and both sides would help. I almost sent mine out for grading but changed my mind at the last minute.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sonlarson likes this.
  4. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

5. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

Not sure this will help or add to the confusion. Apparently 5 different Obverse dies and 6 Reverse dies were used in 1914. KM# are either 643 or 644 with a few not cataloged. Diameter and Silver content also varied along with the die combinations.
    This information was gathered from 2 Sources but neither mentioned a DDO or DDR variety. I did find a mention on the used of a damaged die on one variety. The Obverse die was damaged.

Just a theory, If you have one of the coins struck with the damaged die, it could have caused some mechanical shifting on the reverse. Just speculation.

A good photo of the Obverse might allow me to match the die variety. Most are variations of die breaks. Might be able to narrow it down.

GB is for Hugh S. Guthrie and Merrill Bothamley.

upload_2016-5-28_10-14-52.png

Last edited: May 28, 2016
    iPen likes this.
  6. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I doubt it's a doubled die variety. I think the coin was simply struck twice because they didn't know what they were doing. Your coin is probably XF-AU. Here is a 1 peso I bought raw, had graded and got a nice surprise.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

iPen and sonlarson like this.
  7. sonlarson

As near as I can tell the Obverse is Die I
    Right side of U is damaged
    Snake's head ends under center of A
    Die damage between DOS and PESOS
    ESOS overlaps water lines
    9 of date is re-engraved
    Unable to determine if Reverse is die A or B, but I think it's die B
    Mountains extend from left foot of R to bottom of Y

that would make it GB 210 KM# 644.

8. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

That's a nice example.

I'm unsure of other coin types of the era, but from what I've seen, the 1914 2 pesos coin seems to have been an outlier in terms of quality. Its strike seems to have been crude, absolutely speaking. When I look at other coins during Mexico's Revolutionary years from 1910 to 1920, they don't seem to be nearly as poorly made (especially compared to your type design, though the coins in general seem to have been relatively more crude as you mention).

That said, I guess they could have mis-struck the coin twice or more, which makes a lot of sense actually. If the dies were crude and they wanted to create a larger relief by striking the coins multiple times, then that seems to be consistent with a multiple-struck coin. Add to that the war time crunch, and they may have simply put these coins into circulation instead of cancelling them (if they'd even cancel error coins at the time anyway).

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  9. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Here's a close-up image of the obverse, with the macro setting on for full zoom-in capability (I'm still learning how to photograph so it gets a bit blurry when zooming in):

1914 Mexico 2 Pesos.png

10. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Ok, I finally found internet examples that were of high enough resolution, graded by either PCGS or NGC.

This one's KM#644 and graded MS-61, but from 1915; neither die examples used match mine:

[​IMG]

This one is the KM# 643, obverse III, reverse D example grade as MS-63 (neither side matches mine):

[​IMG]

Here's KM# 643 grade AU-50, Obverse Die I, reverse A (the curved serif of the letter "A" in "REPUBLICA" on the obverse appears to match the one on mine, so Obverse Die I it must be):

[​IMG]

Here's the obverse of mine again, so I think that it's definitely Obverse Die I as you mention:

[​IMG]

The reverse of mine is definitely not Reverse Die A, so looking at the chart that you posted (shown below) and by process of elimination it must be B since there's only one Obverse Die I for KM#644. You're right!

[​IMG]

sonlarson likes this.
  11. sonlarson

Glad to help. I put that chart together using information from 2 books I own on Mexico coinage. Sometime you have to have more than one reference.

iPen likes this.
  12. Arthur69

Arthur69 New Member

IMG_6572.JPG IMG_6573.JPG
    i think i have one of those made with damaged die, take a look to both sides, take a look at the top of the coin

13. sonlarson

That coin is GB 218

Obverse Die V: Snake head ends under C. Die breaks, between star and R, through the P of REPUB, between B and L, through right of A to snake and joins heavy break through the M. NOTE, Later chip breaks out of the die between these two breaks, Die break from both A's of ANA to edge.

Too much damage to your coin to make out these indicators on obverse , but reverse is definitely Die F: Only used on GB 218
    Final O of ORO tangent to two rays
    O of 0,595 tangent to two rays
    mountains extend from F to L

On Die E, mountains extend from O to L

Arthur69 likes this.
  14. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

looks like a jewerly piece to me, nice

15. Arthur69

Arthur69 New Member

FullSizeRender.jpg
    Thanks for the info! I thought it was a broken die because of the side of the coin, it appears To be a broken die,
    thanks for the info about the coin, i didnt knew that my coin is one of those GB 218, i thought that my coin was made with a broken die because of the top of the coin. but maybe it was used for jewlery, it is a common coin? i paid 50 dlls for it in mexico FullSizeRender.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted