1914 full eagle?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by numb-Brit, Aug 17, 2020.

?

Real or not?

1. Real

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. need more information

100.0%
  3. Fake

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. numb-Brit

numb-Brit New Member

Hello,

first time poster here and I am not sure if this is the right place to ask. I have the following coin in my posesion, I am not sure if this is a dud or a good

it weighs right it looks right to my potato eyes but I am unsure where to go from here. I have signed up with the NGC and ready to send off if needed but I thought the internet might know before i trust the coin to the mail system

anybody got any tips for me to work out the authenticity or condition of this coin

Front2.jpg Back2.jpg
    looking forward to some replies o_O

Cheers

James

Penna_Boy likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Welcome to the neighborhood!

I'm not well-versed on gold, so I'll let others chime in to help you. ~ Chris

Penna_Boy likes this.
  4. Penna_Boy

Penna_Boy Just a nobody from the past

"but I thought the internet might know before i trust the coin to the mail system"
    We can give you our honest opinion of the grade and appeal of your coin but that cannot match a professional grader seeing your coin in hand.
    When you mail your gold I do it this way. Never put NGC Coin etc. as the address, Just plain NGC - the PO Box - city/state/zip will do. No sense advertising to the thieves. I also send gold by USPS 'Priority Mail Express'. Penna to Maine in less than 24 hours and super tracking as it moves. More expensive but I just trust it. Up to you to decide. Do your research.
    & Welcome to our humble forum. Glad you came.

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I thought Registered Mail is the best option?

6. Penna_Boy

It is entirely up to you to choose. If you have further questions you might ask the next time you isit your local post office
    The U.S. Postal Service offers speedy delivery services, like Express and Priority Mail. ... Registered Mail can take up to 10-14 days for delivery. The Collect on Delivery option available with Registered Mail can take up to 45 days. As mentioned, Certified Mail travels at the same speed as First Class or Priority Mail.
    It is entirely up to you what system you use. I like it 'Over Night'. It costs more but I have NEVER had a shipment of gold coins lost. Stop at your local P.O. and ask sometime.

7. Penna_Boy

Our fastest domestic shipping service, Priority Mail Express® delivers 7 days a week, 365 days a year (with limited exceptions). Overnight delivery is available to most U.S. addresses and PO Boxes™2 with a money-back guarantee1. With our free Flat Rate Envelopes, you don't need to weigh shipments 70 lbs and under.
    What I use and whatt I like. I said:
    Box of $8,000.00 worth of pre 1933 gold coins took 11 hours from Penna to Maine.

8. numb-Brit

numb-Brit New Member

thanks for the replies so far, should of mentioned I am one of those british types on our little island near the french's :)

the NGC form seems a little confusing to me, they are basically asking how much you think it is worth before you send it.

I am trying to tick as many boxes as possible before sending it off! ive either got a paperweight or something nice

anyone who can steer me in the right direction would be massively appreciated

Cheers

James

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

If you send it through the U S Mail then the safest but not the fastest way, is to use Registered Mail. The higher cost of the item being shipped may result in lower postal fees. The fastest shipping method is Priority Mail Express but the insurance will cost more. Certified is the legal way to send something but that travels through the regular mail stream.

As a retired postal employee I fully recommend Registered Mail as the best way to ship expensive items. It takes longer and most of the tracking is hidden even from you, but a written record and tracking is available to postal employees. Every time a registered parcel orvletter changes hands someone must sign for it. That's what slows it down but it's safer.

10. Penna_Boy

Yes, if you are shipping a very low value item. Pick the one below for a $5,000.00 CC Double Eagle. I cannot tell you how many people on the two top TPG forums have lost their items in Registered mail.

Registered Mail
    service items cannot be tracked through the mailstream and will not provide updated scans. However, Registered Mail service does provide information with a scan showing the delivery status or attempted delivery information which can be retrieved in three ways: Go to www.usps.com.Nov 8, 2018
    USPS tracking provides the status of parcels and other mail items with a label or receipt number. Items shipped with Priority Mail Express will include point-by-point tracking details, while mail and parcels sent with other services will only show when an item went out for delivery.

11. numb-Brit

numb-Brit New Member

is this a postal forum or a coin forum :rolleyes:??

dont think they have the USPS in the UK

12. Mike Davis

Mike Davis Well-Known Member

Nobody had responded to your question....I'm not qualified to determine it authenticity, but will say that it is an exceptional specimen. IF it is authentic, it should grade very nicely MS6 or better. Just mho.....

numb-Brit and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  13. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Welcome to CT James. Do you have any coin shoppes (see what I did there?) near you? I'd start with having someone versed in gold coins looking at it in person before shipping it for grading. Just me and it's not my coin.

numb-Brit likes this.
  14. numb-Brit

numb-Brit New Member

Hi mountain Man
    Thanks for the welcome

Took it to a gold shoppe, they said looks like gold but melt it down as they don't think there's much market for collectors...... We get confused if it's not got a queen or king on it somewhere!!!!

Hopefully some keen eyed member will give me the boost I need to send it off to NGC

Cheers

James

Mike Davis likes this.
  15. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Hi James, welcome to CT. NGC has an office in Munich, Germany you may want to call them and ask if you can ship the coin to them for grading. I’d also ask about the next on-site grading event (which may be delayed due to COVID-19). It could still be easier to submit the coin this way.

https://www.ngccoin.de/
    language can be changed to EN at the top right corner

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    numb-Brit likes this.
  16. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

How much does it weigh to a tenth of a gram and what is it's diameter to a tenth of a mm?

17. numb-Brit

numb-Brit New Member

I know its 16.7grams as i took it to a jewelers but I love an excuse to get my metric calipers out! will measure and get back to you!

18. numb-Brit

numb-Brit New Member

27mm diameter, do i measure from raised stars or from low point?

19. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Your measurements match the specs for the US gold eagle. As of today the gold value is $969.35. There appears to be a slight premium in the price guides as a gold coin in that condition but I can't give you a grade or authenticate that it is real from pictures. A dealer would likely only give you melt value...

numb-Brit likes this.
  20. numb-Brit

numb-Brit New Member

Thanks Razz, before I send off to the NGC i will visit a coin dealer in the UK and see what they can tell me, it seems a shame to melt down for weight or is that how the hoarding begins?

I will post on here if i get sad news or i grow a pair and send off :)

thanks for the replies peoples

Cheers

James

21. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Don't melt it yourself! I agree should not be melted and many times they are not. It is just a way of talking about value which can change on a day to day basis. Sell it to a coin shoppe and they will likely not melt it down but re sell it at a small premium to a collector.

Draft saved Draft deleted