1914-D Lincoln Cent, seller states its a modified date???

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Bones-65, May 27, 2022.

1. Bones-65

Bones-65 Well-Known Member

Boy this listing is looking to be more & more of a in the future problem!
    Look at the watchers on the listing, I wonder how many people have these phonies that they know is worthless waiting to see if this clown can get near $50.00 out of it just because of how they listed it!
    $50.00 for a phony, hell that's worth more than 95% of Lincoln's in most collections!
    This needs to be fixed! those watchers did to see the link to that listing go directly to the little kid in the orange coat!
    This is madness on a new level.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

No, these don't follow the Hobby Protection Act. The cent in question does. It is an altered coin and no more illegal than a hobo nickel. Would it be illegal to sell as an 1914? No, that would be fraud; still doesn't make it illegal to sell as described.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  4. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 28, 2022
  5. Bones-65

There is some understanding outside of illegal that it still violates ebay rules for listings of this type.

6. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

If you were conversing with someone "high up" in e-bay, why is the listing still up?

7. ifthevamzarockin

ifthevamzarockin Well-Known Member

I think he was saying he was talking to someone who is up to date on ebay policy and not speaking with someone from ebay.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  8. ifthevamzarockin

ifthevamzarockin Well-Known Member

Cheech9712 and Jack D. Young like this.
  9. Bones-65

The comment above is correct!
    I was PM'ing someone I felt would be more in the know of ebay policies than I who has MANY TIMES in the past dealt with these types of issues.
    I never stated it was a higher up within ebay, nor did I mean to imply that.
    If so then I would have came back here and clearly stated what info I had gotten and that it was directly from within ebay, thus we would all know and this would be settled.
    ////////////////////////
    I'm hoping in this thread that we all can come to an agreement on the best way to handle listing like this, if there is a way at all. I'm keeping my fingers crossed anyway.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  10. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

It is illegal to modify the date or mint mark, regardless of whether you mentioned it or not. Read the 1965 Hobby Act.
    If he made it a 1904, then that would be different, ala Dan Carr.

11. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Modified date? That coin is worth 1 cent after the damage.

12. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Don't need the Hobby Protection Act (which mandates putting the word COPY irreversibly onto the coin) for this one:

upload_2022-5-28_21-37-16.png

I would say that offering this as a "1914-D Lincoln cent", regardless of the fine print, constitutes "fraudulently" attempting to sell.

And legalities aside, as others have pointed out, it's completely against eBay policy.

13. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

And in what way is he fraudulently attempting to see it? He openly states that it has been altered.

14. Bones-65

Update!
    It appears the seller has pulled the listing for the altered 44-D.
    They probably (???) got hammered with messages about it.
    POOF ITS GONE!

15. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

16. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

17. russell1256

russell1256 Well-Known Member

I would like one of these for my collection. To show an altered coin, I think the 1944/14 is the most obvious counterfeits.

18. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

I guess my 14D hole will remain empty a while longer. 3C4A4E1E-1F0C-4D33-B260-77DA3E23798B.jpeg

19. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Bones-65 and -jeffB like this.
  20. Jack D. Young

Jack D. Young Well-Known Member

The replicas were removed.

21. Brent hobonickel

Brent hobonickel Well-Known Member

I carve hobo nickels- I think that this is against the law to make a 44 into a 14. It sounds like a five minute engraving job (if that)- but I would never do it

Cheech9712 and -jeffB like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted