1914 D Buffalo Nickel advice

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Mark Metzger, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

Hey there folks,
    I recently acquired this 1914 D Buffalo as part of a large collection of coins. My question is this: can anything be done to "restore" the coin. There is great detail but it is buried under some serious patina. Any thoughts on the grade would be appreciated as well.
    Thanks!
    PhotoGrid_1568076671373.jpg

Islander80-83 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

It looks like a nice coin. A good acetone bath won't hurt it. Submerge the coin in acetone and "Gently" wipe/rub it with a soaked Q-tip while it's submerged. That gunk around the buffalo might come off. Again, very gently. At the moment, I'm thinking that rust color on the obv. might be baked into the surface.

4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

The coin is terminal there's no amount of Actone, or any other fluid that will fix what is wrong with this specimen. There is corrosion, and copper leaching out of the medal.the green color is the copper breaking down.
    The surfaces look ruff as what ever got on this coin ate the surface.
    I suspect some acid type that was watered down as if it wasn't the damage would be more.Other than 5 cents this specimen has no numistic value.
    And venture to say that the surface will continue to get even worse, as the medal is to far gone.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Perfect for experiments, keep us filled in.

Draft saved Draft deleted