1914 D buafflo nickel rotated reverse die?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Daulton, Dec 29, 2022.

1. Daulton

Daulton Active Member

image.jpg image.jpg I have a anacs graded ag3 scratched 1914 D Buffalo nickel, that looks to me to have about a 15-30 degree rotated reverse however that is not noted on the capsule. Just wondering what your guys opinion on it would be? And I know it’s a rough coin but it’s a key date so it is what it is! image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Rotations amongst the Buffalo was quite common. From what I see, your coin has details that are above AG3, but perhaps they took off for the uneven wear especially on the obverse. The mint mark is still very sharp. A lot of the time, when you get an AG coin, the mint mark can be hard to judge...and S or a D. Not the case here. At the very least, you have a holder coin to upgrade to a finer specimen when one comes along or meets your budget. A fun piece.

SorenCoins, Daulton and SensibleSal66 like this.
  4. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Looks to be slightly rotated (maybe 10°).
    For a 20th century coin that's not a lot.

SorenCoins likes this.
  5. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

Yes definitely rotated! As others mentioned this is sometimes seen on older coins. Half cents and large cents in the 19th century were especially riddled with rotated dies. I think it's likely not mentioned on the holder because there would be an additional fee for ANACS to note that, and the person who submitted the coin either didn't notice or didn't care to have it listed.

Kevin Mader likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted