1914 China Yuan Shikai w Hat One Dollar Value

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Lyricfive, Jan 5, 2022.

1. Lyricfive

Lyricfive Active Member

Hi there everybody. This one was in my stepfather's collection and when I try to look up the value I only get the bald man facing left with no hat version to reference. I can't seem to find a proper value for the one I havewith the hat on. The envelope says it's "BU". I assume if I got it graded it would increase the value a little bit... But can someone tell me what this might be worth without getting it graded? Thanks in advance.

IMG_20220105_175442979.jpg IMG_20220105_175512925.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

4. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I would imagine fakes abound for this series, as any Chinese dollars

5. Lyricfive

Lyricfive Active Member

My stepfather knew his stuff...I don't believe this one to be a fake.

6. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

If it is real, it is worth getting graded.

kazuma78 and mlov43 like this.
  7. hotwheelsearl

Even if you are not 100% sure, the investment in grading would be worth it to know for sure the authenticity, grade, and any prior cleaning.

this is a big dollar coin

Lyricfive likes this.
  8. Lyricfive

Lyricfive Active Member

In your opinion , if this was yours and you were going to have it graded, what would you insure it at?

9. hotwheelsearl

I have no idea honestly. Hard to find a good validation. Probably at least a thousand in that condition

10. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Probably closer to 8 - 10k usd.

Send it for grading if you strongly believe it's genuine. Worry about price once it's determined to be true

mlov43 likes this.
  11. Lyricfive

Lyricfive Active Member

Update...this was sent to Stack Bowers and confirmed to be a genuine high grade coin. Throwing it in their Hong Kong auction in April and the aim is at the least 30k. What a find!!!!

Theodosius, kazuma78, mlov43 and 3 others like this.
  12. fullhart

fullhart Junior Member

Wow! Congratulations!

Lyricfive likes this.
  13. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

You have to update us with the auction results~!
    What an epic coin. Congratulations!

kazuma78 and Lyricfive like this.
  14. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Well done! Just because it's a Chinese coin doesn't mean that its not genuine. This is very good news. Congratulations!

Whether you want to hold onto it or sell it, it's your choice. I am certain that this coin will still appreciate over time. It's quite uncommon in this condition.

15. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Would you happen to have the coin's weight? According to Krause the coin should weigh in the neighborhood of 26.7000 grams.

Additionally, Krause notes that this coin was restruck for collectors in 1918 - the first striking was in 1914. The first striking coin measures 39.1mm in diameter, 2.8mm thick, while the restruck coins measure 39.5mm in diameter, 3.25mm thick.

16. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

China note.jpg Can anyone translate this? Thanks China note.jpg

17. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

Awesome! It looked genuine to me but maybe with some hairlines. It's a great time to sell Chinese and Asian coins. I have 2 consigned to that auction also, though not as high dollar as this coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted