1914 Buffalo Nickel, could this be an error or PMD?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by LEyestone, Oct 10, 2015.

1. LEyestone

LEyestone New Member

Hi,
    I have this 1914-P nickel, on the front there's a mark under the Indian's chin that looks like a die clash. On the back there's 2 large marks by the buffalo's head, I thought that maybe it was PMD but it appears to have been stamped after the marks were already there. Maybe it was a damaged planchet? Any info on this would be much appreciated.
    Thanks 2-%255BUNSET%255D-016.jpg 1-%255BUNSET%255D-001.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Hello. The 2 large marks on the Buffalos head is what is called a Lamination error.
    Here are the before and after definitions:
    Definition:
    Flakes of metal can peel off the surface off a planchet before the strike. Such planchet defects are generally attributed to the presence of contaminants in the alloy.
    Definition: Flakes of metal can peel off the surface off a coin after the strike. Such defects are generally attributed to the presence of contaminants in the alloy.

I can't see the area under the chin well enough to determine what it could be.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
    Rick Stachowski likes this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I agree with Paddy on the reverse 100%. The front, if I'm looking at the right place, looks like the extra finger on the 2009 Lincoln Cent so I'd say it was a filled die.

5. paddyman98

Say what? o_O

6. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Our you guys forgetting about the strike through error on the reverse 23.jpg

eddiespin likes this.
  7. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I think I agree with Rick, Paddy, that's no lam, it's struck-through debris.

8. paddyman98

That's what I mentioned that it was a Lamination error

9. paddyman98

:yuck: Arrrrg! You guys are going against my determination? Oh well you are entitled to your opinion ;)

10. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Paddy, struck-throughs will sometimes cause rips and tears. Oh, where's Mike Diamond when we need him?

paddyman98 likes this.
  11. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Here is mine. Also notice the other part of the clash on the EPU on the reverse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. paddyman98

I'm still sticking to Lamination - Here are examples of another Buffalo and older coin
    Definition #3 - Dirt and impurities in the metal of the planchet can manifest themselves as cracks and peels on the struck coin.
    lam5c01.jpg laminations.jpg

13. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I agree with paddyman on the reverse. Looks like a lam to me.

14. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Those are very interesting, Paddy. You got me going, now.

15. Rick Stachowski

Yes thoses are lam. The OP coin doesn't reach the rim, stay inside the field only. but I'm no expert by far ....

16. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I agree, the reverse looks like a lamination.

17. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

The planchets are softened up for the violent strike. Am I correct on that? And when there's intervening debris, it can be expected to lift off metal. Does that make sense?

18. Collecting Nut

The 2nd coin in 2009 with Lincoln sitting on a log. Was that called the Formative Years? Numerous varieties of 6 fingers on the hand holding the book? Between his thumb and index finger. I think they called it a filled die error but I might be mistaken. Too many hours this week to remember these things. That's what the OP's nickel reminds me of. It's about finger size and I can see it under the Indian's head coming off his neck, close to the chin. :yawn:

19. Rick Stachowski

Different, thats a double die
    Your thinking of the extra leaf on the Wisconsin quarter

20. Collecting Nut

That was caused by a mint employee scratching 2 dies because he needed anger management. High and Low. You're right about it being a DD but this nickel reminds me of that finger. I'm heading out to do my antique shop. Have a nice weekend Holiday everyone.

21. Rick Stachowski

Here a good article by ken potter on the extra leaf
    http://koinpro.tripod.com/Articles/2004DWiscDieGouges.htm

Draft saved Draft deleted