1914 $5 Federal Reserve Note Question

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by MitchBailey, Sep 3, 2015.

1. MitchBailey

MitchBailey Active Member

I've been collecting the 1914 $5 FRN series for a year or two and have noticed striking differences in the color shades on the notes. Obviously notes from this era have been tampered with, but some of the higher grade/PPQ notes just look different. Does anyone have any feedback on this? Should I stop drinking?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Coins R Us

Coins R Us New Member

Sorry i can't provide any feedback, but any reason you're collecting "1914 $5 FRN"? Why so specific?

Also i would throw in a guess, i mean over time colors deteriorate if not taken care of properly.

4. Nevadabell

Nevadabell A picture of me.

Well, let's see, Coins R Us. There are twelve distinct types, A through L districts. If you count stars, then you have 24 notes. Also, this is a relatively inexpensive series, so many large-size collectors like to assemble collections from each FRB or (with luck) find star notes.

MitchBailey likes this.
  5. MitchBailey

I don't collect these specifically.

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's printed with ink. Ink can fade if left in direct sunlight or go through a washing machine. Or it could be that a new batch of ink was made and a slight variation in color was created.

harrync and MitchBailey like this.
  7. MitchBailey

That's what I'm thinking Nut. I've seen several notes where the reverse has much more blue in it. Like I said, higher grade original notes. Washed ones don't count! :hungover:

8. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

Notwithstanding all of the opportunities for fading and other deterioration, I'm sure that there was a lot more variation in the production process than there would be today.

MitchBailey likes this.
  9. MitchBailey

Thanks for your response, KSorbo.

Draft saved Draft deleted