1913 S variety 2 Buffalo Nickel for 60 cents!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Matthew Peak, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Matthew Peak

Matthew Peak Member

I was at a pawn shop, of all places, and bought a lot of 37 Buffalo nickels for 60 cents a piece. When I got home to check them out. In the mix was this 1913 S Var. 2 Buffalo nickel. Im new at this, but this looks to me to be in G4 condition. What would you do with this coin? Get it slabbed? Save it? Sell it as is? This coin graded in G4 condition has sold for $150-$190 recently on ebay. Screenshot_2016-08-24-21-30-03.png 20160824_204955_HDR.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Matthew Peak

Matthew Peak Member

There was also two 1913 S Var. 1 nickels, and about 12 pre 1920. All of them are in similar condition. Some a little better.

4. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

As worn as the obverse is does anyone else think this might be a "Nic A Date" coin? The date area looks a little lighter grey.

5. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I see what you're talking about, but wouldn't want to say for sure without clearer photos. Hell, I can't even tell if the mintmark is an S and have to take the OP's word for it. ;)

6. BooksB4Coins

OP,

Best case, even assuming it hasn't been treated, the coin is still damaged and isn't worth submitting. This isn't to say it wasn't a fine pick up, but just that you're better off selling as-is if that's what you wish to do.

7. Matthew Peak

Matthew Peak Member

What is "Nic A Date"? There were quite a few coins without dates. And I apologize for the crummy photo.

8. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

From "Wizard Coin Supply" :

"This product will bring back most worn or faded dates on nickels. Even if you can't read the date, try Nic-A-Date to bring back the date so you can read it again"
    [​IMG]

9. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

Yes it looks like Nic-A-Date (a date restoration product) was used. The X scratch mark across the Indian's head makes it a "Details Coin" if sent to be graded. Yes a nice find at a great price, but basically a "hole filler" for a coin album.

10. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Treated coin so yes details

11. BooksB4Coins

If treated the lighter area around the date will have a somewhat different texture than the rest of the coin. It very well may have been, but just be sure before you take anyone's word for it.

If indeed a treated coin, it is not going to be worth anywhere near your estimate unfortunately, but is something you could still sell for a fairly decent profit.

12. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Absolutely it has been acid treated. That said, it still goes for a decent price - $50 or a bit more on eBay.

13. Matthew Peak

Matthew Peak Member

Thank you all for your input. I have lots of questions about lots of coins. So, before I post any more pictures, I will look into a better camera set up.

14. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

It looks Nic-A-Dated. Still could sell for $40-$50.

15. Matthew Peak

Matthew Peak Member

Im going to consider it a good day then since I only have $22.20 for it and 36 others.

Omegaraptor likes this.
  16. conder0289

conder0289 Member

The photos provided are more then sufficient, coin has been treated with Nic-A-Date and it is an S mintmark

17. BooksB4Coins

If you say so; perhaps you can see better than I using this small screen. In all likelihood it is, but what's so wrong with being sure? It is not like members of this forum stating opinion as fact hasn't hurt others in the past, and this is something I can personally vouch for.

18. conder0289

conder0289 Member

Small screen, I viewed this post on a 55 inch flat screen, sorry but why do you sound like I should be doubted, I am a coin and stamp dealer, opinions are what its all about, like third party grading is, but I was able to view the photos as I said, the stain from the Nic-A-Date is very obvious

19. BooksB4Coins

And why should I for simply approaching with caution, and suggesting the OP look for himself instead of taking anyone's word for it? Or are you one of those who take it as a personal insult when someone dares not to simply accept their word as law?

If you're a dealer I assume you've experienced what can come from opinion presented as fact? We have an OP who appears to be fairly new to this hobby, and there's absolutely no harm in pressing him to look, see, and learn for himself.

I would also hope you're basing your conclusion on more than simple discoloration ("stain").

20. conder0289

conder0289 Member

You know what, travel to see the coin and give your opinion, it is as good or bad as anyone else's is, The OP payed 60 cents for it, I refuse to argue with you about it, let them send it out to be slabbed, pay decent money, to get, what, any opinion

21. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I do not agree that the designation of Nic-A-Date treatment is necessarily true. Treated yes, but a general acid is more likely to me. Nic-a-Date is a ferric chloride based etchant such as used with PC boards, and usually leaves a yellowish tinge where as straight acid is more the appearing effect.

Opinions on coins are expected and allowed, but on other members opinions or personalities, etc. is not allowed beyond a mod's allowance ~ stick with the coins. Jim

Draft saved Draft deleted