1913-S Buff. Type 1 or 2?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by furryfrog02, Mar 27, 2015.

1. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

So This came out of a box last week as a no-date buffalo with a mint mark on the reverse. At first I thought it was a "D" but under closer magnification it turned out to be an "S". I soaked it in vinegar for a few days and that revealed 1913 as the date. Now I can't tell if it is a type 1 or 2. Any thoughts?
    1913 Buff.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

It looks like a type one to me.

tommyc03 likes this.
  4. robec

robec Junior Member

5. furryfrog02

That's what I was leaning towards too. Just spent too much time looking at it :) Needed a 2nd (and 3rd) opinion. Thanks!

6. EagleEyez

EagleEyez Hoarding coinage since 1974

Looks like a type 1 to me, as well.

7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Type 1, on a mound. Type 2 is on a plain. Type 1 was highly susceptible to premature wear on the reverse, often wearing off the "Five Cents" so they re-designed it with a plain to protect this.

8. EagleEyez

9. furryfrog02

Too bad it isn't a type 2. Still a cool find :)

tommyc03 likes this.
  10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Type 1, as others have said. Study and learn to distinguish that Type-1 mound from the Type-2 ground; it's not difficult, and once you can, you'll never have to acid-treat a Type 1 again. I'm not sure an acid-treated Type 1 is worth much less than an untreated, dateless Type 1, but I'd rather not treat any coin if I can avoid it.

EagleEyez likes this.
  11. furryfrog02

Yeah I know the difference between the two. It was so bad though that I was having a hard time telling anything on the coin. Probably if I had looked a bit longer I could have seen it :) Meh, it's a hole filler so no biggie.

12. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

You have a date and type so still makes for a good type coin. And no residue from acid treating.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  13. EagleEyez

I've often found that when I'm having trouble seeing a detail on the coin (even with loupe), that detail jumps out at me when viewing an enlarged photo of the coin.

14. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

The political intrigue and in-fighting over the design of the Buffalo Nickel makes for interesting reading. See the Wikipedia entry on the Buffalo Nickel.

15. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

I agree with Type 1

16. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Looks like I'm too late to say Type 1 but I'll say it anyway :p

furryfrog02 likes this.
  17. furryfrog02

Better late than never :)

Seattlite86 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted