1913 Liberty Nickel For Sale Next Week - ANA Show Philadelphia

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by wcoins, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

$760,000

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Would have been fun to bid $1M knowing (praying) that I’d be outbid but there’s no way I could qualify to bid or handle the stress.

MikeinWyo likes this.
  4. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Yes, total $4.56M.

The one on ebay is listed now for $3.85M without any bp. :)
    The ebay listing seems genuine to me. The seller edited it and provided more info and some history.

5. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Holy. Moly. Most of us won't come close to earning that in a lifetime, and yet, I'll bet that buyer feels like the luckiest guy in the world right now!

6. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Let me ask a question: if you were enormously rich, would you still spend $4.56 million on a single coin? I probably wouldn’t, to be honest.

Intriguing question.

7. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

Whizzed.

Santinidollar likes this.
  8. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

9. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

Coin was bought by Bruce Moreland plus an undisclosed partner. Bruce was the owner before last, sold it in 2010, and wanted to own it again. Bruce is a part owner of Legend Numismatics and Legend Auctions.

And yeah, if I had a few hundred million :), I can imagine spending that much on a coin, but not this coin.

Cal

paddyman98, -jeffB and Nathan401 like this.
  10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Wonder how the seller feels, He lost $1.15 million (He bought it for $5 million). Unless he got more than 100% of the hammer price, but he still lost money because I'm sure he didn't get 126% of the hammer price.

11. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

The previous purchaser, Dr. Morton-Smith, is dead, so is probably OK with it. As to his heirs, hard to say. Good chance they're OK with it too because they may or may not have had to pay inheritance tax on it. But on the day they inherited it, its basis became current value, which was probably at least Morton-Smith's purchase price. So in addition to the inheritance itself, they get a fat capital gains loss for their tax returns.

Cal

C-B-D likes this.
  12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Ah a win - win situation.

Draft saved Draft deleted