1913 India Rupee - What's going on here?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by iPen, Jan 29, 2016.

1. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

The reverse on this coin has the effects of a "cartwheel luster", and yet, when taking a much closer look, there are rough vertical lines on the fields, with obvious circulation marks. If this coin was dipped, then is it merely coincidence that the sheen effect exhibits a cartwheel pattern when light hits it?

Or, is it a combination of different things going on? The reverse has a die crack through the bottom center. Is it a very weak/worn die strike, where the die was pretty badly worn and cracked, creating that surface? All the while still being a circulated strike?

The obverse is similar and has huge die cracks at the bottom area between 6 and 9 o'clock. There appears to be scratches on the obverse, but it looks different... as if it's PMD scratches combined with a very worn die.

Thanks in advance!

P1070381.JPG P1070382.JPG P1070383.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Looks like a decent original unc with v. slight rub and discoloration esp. obv. (I know, I know - spare me the 1/2 pregnant comments) and scruffy obv. IMO.

4. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

UNC details?

5. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

My thinking would be brief circulation and a dip, still enough luster left to cartwheel.

6. Insider

If I were a TPG I would dip the coin (conserve it) and grade it MS-61. Reverse looks fully original MS-64+ but so what. Most of the grade comes from Obverse.

IMO Hairlines look random (so not cleaned), stain would come off.

That said. We really don't know what the coin actually looks like if it is rotated in the light. More rub may show.

Just a tip for you all to try. I use a fluorescent light when I wish to see if there is any "rub" on a coin. Original surface looks frosty, rub (if present) turns dull gray on silver coins. I highly encourage you to TRY IT. You'll love it. Then when every coin looks like an AU :shame: you'll need to teach yourself how much rub you, TPGS, and others will tolerate. Have fun!

7. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

The obverse has cartwheel luster, too, but those scratches are strange.

Here are some more pics with a USB microscope. It shows a die crack at 6 o'clock, and another die crack in a circular motion between 6 and 9 o'clock (I thought it was a scratch at first but nope). The edge details look worn, but it's as if it's a combination of die wear and machine doubling, like a smear/scrape of the coin due to the worn die. Anyway, maybe these photos will help make it clearer:

20160129144410.jpg 20160129144418.jpg 20160129144423.jpg 20160129144439.jpg

8. Insider

Nice DC thru bust.

Now about the scratches. You have the coin BUT the "scratches" look like squiggly black-brown fibers or stains. Here's what you can do:

1. Best. Examine the coin with a stereo scope to see if the "scratches" break the surface.

Otherwise:

1. Take a toothpick, moisten just the tip with dip, and touch one of the brown-black stains. If it disappears, your coin has fiber stains. Then either neutralize the entire coin OR I personally would conserve (dip) just the obverse.

Please let us know the outcome ;)

9. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

I have never tried dip and not sure how - it's probably on this forum somewhere.

Maybe I should give it an acetone bath and see if there are any differences.

10. Insider

Acetone will probably not do the trick on this one.

11. ffrickey

ffrickey Junior Member

OK, somebody has to ask the dumb question: What is "dip"?

12. Insider

Just a quick answer until the chemical experts here can fully reply.

Dips are chemicals that remove things from coins. Usually used to remove tarnish, spots, etc. If they are not used properly, they may damage a coin.

13. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Yeah I tried acetone and whatever that brown mark is, it's too stubborn for acetone.

Anyway, I misplaced this 1913 India Rupee! I can't seem to find it :oops:

14. Insider

Dip is the next step. It should make the coin more attractive; but just try one speck first. then I'll give you more info.

15. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to buy lol. I googled it and "Zenith" brand showed up. Is all dip the same? Or different depending on which brand?

16. Insider

Ez-est, jewel luster are some. You can call a coin supply store like Wizard. Or, since you don't really need the stuff. Go to the grocery store and by a liquid tarnish remover such as Tarnex.

NOTE do nothing until you write me back with what you have and we'll go from there. Post me on private conversations.

17. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Ok I'll have to PM you when I try the dipping.

I'll have to look into which one to buy.

And, I'll have to find the coin first lol.

18. Insider

Please PM BEFORE you touch the coin! I do this stuff every day and I'm going to do my best to walk you thru it. It's easy. You'll just need a few things handy when we start.

And take a before photo of the obverse when you find the coin. The reverse needs nothing so we are not going to touch that side at all.

19. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

ok will PM you beforehand and take photos.

I need to backtrack my steps to find this coin...

20. Insider

Draft saved Draft deleted