1913 D Wheat Penny with strange errors

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by youletmeworryaboutthat, Dec 6, 2018.

?

What is the potential value of this 1913 D Wheat Penny with strange cracks in planchet?

1. <1000

9 vote(s)
    90.0%
  2. >1000

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. I have this 1913 D Wheat Penny with strange cracks on both sides of the coin.
    I am attaching pics to this post and would like to hear feedback on what this may be.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. This 1913 D Wheat penny has strange cracks in the planchet.
    I am wondering if this coin is valuable as a result of this deformity.

Please provide feedback.

I am new here and just learning as a result of coming into a rather large collection of coins, and I appreciate any help in regards to this particular coin in my collection.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Those are intentional scratches
    PMD - Post Mint Damage
    Not a Mint Error

Not valuable. Only worth One Cent.

5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Welcome to CT. Your coin is just damaged. It's worth 1 cent.

6. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Someone had a box cutter and too much free time.
    Your coin is damaged and worth face value.

coinsareus10 likes this.
  7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I basically agree with the two previous respondents that, due to the rather horrific damage your coin suffered, it is essentially worth only face value (one cent).

However, since the 1913-D is a slightly better date (worth $2.53 in G4 per Numismedia), you could adjust for the damage and hypothetically say that it's worth 25-50 cents or so to someone who was desperate enough to fill that slot in their album. It's what we old-time collectors used to refer to as a "filler", because of that.

Damaged coins like this are also referred to as "culls", as per definition 5 of the word here.

Hookman and paddyman98 like this.
  8. lordmarcovan

Merged the duplicate threads.

9. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

It looks like the abuser of this poor cent tried to carve their initials on the front, but lacked the control over their knife to do a good job of it.

@lordmarcovan gave me this love token, where a skilled person ground off the design first, and then intricately carved a new design. You may look around for "Love Token" and "Hobo Nickel" to see the high art this can become in the right hands.

Love Token Half DIme full 01.gif

10. lordmarcovan

I was going to put that one on my hat, but since you and I share the same last initial, I thought you should have it. :)

Love tokens and hobo carvings are NOT culls, of course, unless the artist was really, really bad!

RonSanderson likes this.
  11. lordmarcovan

@youletmeworryaboutthat - if I recall your introductory post, you inherited an accumulation of coins including a number of Wheat cents, yes?

Perhaps you could get a Lincoln cent folder or album and see how many holes you can fill.

With a 1913-D, you've filled the hole for one of the slightly tougher early mintmarked pieces, if only with a temporary space filler.

It's a fun pursuit, and exactly how three or four generations of collectors have gotten their start.

RonSanderson likes this.
  12. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Not YouTube videos by backwards ballcap wearers talking about errors that are not? Hrrrumpf. Who knew?

13. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Too bad about the intentional initials and X carvings as this would be a good coin. In this damaged condition it still may bring a dollar. The problem is, let's say someone buys it because they need that coin for their album. There's no upside it's always going to be damaged and a dealer or serious collector will reject it.

LA_Geezer and RonSanderson like this.
  14. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Nah! A little body putty and a buffing wheel, and she'll be good as new. :eek::troll:

15. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

You could say it's a filler, but getting a problem free 13-D cent to fill a hole costs what, a few bucks?

Cool find, but it has very little if any value.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  16. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

It looks like the initials are D A R = Daughters of the American Revolution and the design? on the reverse could be the beginning of a Voodoo hex sign.

Now THAT'S one way to put a marketable spin on an otherwise unmarketable coin.

Just check your morals and ethics at the door on your way out.

lol

RonSanderson likes this.
  17. lordmarcovan

I think the crisscross/starburst knife slash pattern on the reverse is the product of boredom alone, and without any deeper meaning. I've seen it before on coins from the 1800s on up.

RonSanderson likes this.
  18. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Might be worth 2cents on ebay

19. Alan Cecil

Alan Cecil Active Member

a coin someone decided to deface sad

Draft saved Draft deleted