1913 Barber Half

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by stldanceartist, Sep 4, 2014.

1. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Hey everyone!

Just thought I'd share this great 1913 Barber Half that my auctioneer friend picked up for a song. Looks like it will need some conservation, but there is a lot to love for a key date like this, especially in this condition.

Enjoy (like I did!)

1913 Barber Half.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

Id leave it as is. Its looks great

Mr. Flute and Tom B like this.
  4. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

Aside from a tiny speck above E PLURIBUS on the reverse ribbon, what could possibly be gained from conserving this coin?

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Leave it 'blasted' be........

6. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

Leave it, I bought one as a kid in G-8, cost $12, now worth north of $30....doesnt look NEAR that nice!

7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Some of those spots look pretty black. Are you figuring you need to dip it to stop further corrosion?

I like the general look. It makes sense to try to stop further corrosion, but I'm not sure how you'd do it without damaging the coin's eye appeal.

8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I don't see any reason to have work done on the coin. It's nice just the way it is.

9. stldanceartist

First of all...everyone take a breath. I'm not going to ruin this coin. :)

There is a good deal of dirt around the lettering, especially on the reverse (it's not toning.) As is this coin would NEVER grade and would need to be conserved first to remove adverse surface conditions.

Since it's not my coin, I will only recommend conservation and grading, but chances are it will be sold as-is. Well, actually, chances are it will be thrown in the bottom of a suitcase for a year or two and then sold to someone else for about half it's value.

10. Tom B

PCGS and NGC grade circulated type with dirt still adhering to its surfaces all the time. This coin does not need to be spiffed up to be straight graded.

11. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Looks like a nice XF-40 coin that will slab cleanly.

12. stldanceartist

I've been wrong before, and will be wrong again. :)

13. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

Oddly enough, I also have one with appearance problems. The obverse is an odd color. Local dealers think it probably rested on the inside of a leather purse for many years. My ultimate goal is to grade it and sell it. It would look out of place in my Barber set anyway.

My "other" 1913 is a strong Fine.

C899a 1913 50c reverse.jpg C899b 1913 50c obverse.jpg

14. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Doug:

I hate to disappoint you, but...

That is a VF any day

15. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

I hate to disappoint you, but...

Looks XF+ details to me...

16. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

Treashunt, I don't know why any grade would disappoint me - I didn't express any opinion one way or the other, nor any particular grade. It's simply on my list of things to do, sell the coin and buy something else...

17. stldanceartist

Hey everyone!

So, instead of starting a new thread, I just thought I'd share the results from NGC (as they just appeared online today.)

First off, I'd like to point out that I did, in fact, say that my opinion was that this coin "would NEVER grade and would need to be conserved first to remove adverse surface conditions." Let me be the first to admit a mistake in this case. See, I can admit when I'm wrong!

Would anyone like to guess what grade NGC assigned to this coin?

18. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

19. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

For sake of diversity, I'll say AU50.

But I like it for 53 as well.

20. Tom B

I'd imagine AU50 or AU53 depending on how the underlying luster looks in-hand.

21. stldanceartist

Well, I'd say you guys are all spot-on. It's coming back AU53, which I didn't think it had a shot over XF40...so hey, found money. For my friend.

Draft saved Draft deleted