1912-D Liberty Head V Nickel Error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Stephanie Gardner, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Stephanie Gardner

Stephanie Gardner New Member

Also the O in of on the back really looks to have been altered at the top. Really does look pushed in... don't you think?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Since you have quoted me, my original post stands. In the photo I see at least two places where the surface is laminated. A sharp photo could resolve this. There is major damage to the left of the one and on the reverse rim at one o'clock. At the least the coin is damaged. A conservation lab or "coin doc" at home using a simple chemical (NOT DIP ...but :muted:) could get the red off and make your coin more pleasing to the eye. The star is flat due to the lamination (?) damage or weakness. Need sharp photo.

4. Stephanie Gardner

Hey, since I have your attention for a moment can I ask a quick question? I found another 1942 Mercury Dime but this one is different than any I've seen before. Instead of a S, P, or D mark for manufacturing location this one has a W. I'm currently waiting for the pics to load up in My album so I can post the question about it. What do you think the W stands for?

5. Stephanie Gardner

I will try to get a better picture for this coin, but I'm not very computer savvy so it might take me some time to work out.

6. Insider

Where is the "W" located? Is it raised off the coin's surface or cut into it?

7. Stephanie Gardner

Okay the W is located (on the front) between the Y in Liberty and 2 in 1942. It is raised up off the coin.

8. Insider

It is the designer' initial, a "stylized" AW. It is part of the coins design.

When you have a question such as this, you may find it more helpful and easier to remember if you do a little research on your own. It's good training. I'll bet you could have answered your own question by looking in the Red Book or on the Internet. Then, if you still cannot answer your question we are all here on CT to help. Even the different opinions are good to read and mostly educational.

9. Stephanie Gardner

To be honest I didn't see an A with the W. Thank you for the advice and study up more before asking a question. Thank you again for your time and patience as I am very new to this type of collecting.
    Thank you again,
    Stephanie

10. Mark Oliver

Mark Oliver Active Member

11. Stephanie Gardner

Thank you for the link. I'll look into it. Thank you again!

12. Insider

It is hard to see on circulated coins.

Learning is usually faster and easier with teachers but IMO "try-it-yourself-first" lasts more, brings more personal satisfaction, and you'll learn more about "how to learn/where to search" (That's what college is ) when you try it yourself first. :bookworm:

Draft saved Draft deleted