1911 S Lincoln

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Razz, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

So picked this up raw from the LCS today. What do you think the grade could be? Looking at a couple of references seems F or VF as the cheek and jaw are visible and separate and the lines in the wheat stalks are defined and separate. But am open for "school" on this one. Thanks. PhotoEditor_20190629_165128925.jpg PhotoEditor_20190629_165232512.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

I hate going first!! VF-20.

eddiespin and Razz like this.
  4. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Be aware that this coin is raw and not graded by a TPG. Just looking for info from Lincoln aficionados and anybody else who wants to chime in! Thanks!

Islander80-83 likes this.
  5. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Im thinking it would grade Fine. The obverse is pretty worn for VF IMO.

Razz likes this.
  6. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

There is only a $5 bump from F to VF so it doesn't matter too much either way!

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

F-12

R_rabbit and Razz like this.
  8. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I think the reverse is probably VF20 or better with a weak strike on the top of the O in one and going into the PLU of Pluribus. The obverse does have more wear. The LCS had it marked simply VG. Anyway I think I did ok for $15...

Mernskeeter likes this.
  9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'll go with 12 as well. Never messed with, nice color.

Razz likes this.
  10. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

I'll admit when I first glanced at the OP's coin in this thread - the damage on the "9" of the date caused me to do a double take and think back to the counterfeit 1914-D thread. Being the counterfeit die in that thread has indications it was first used to produce 1911-D counterfeits
    and later altered to produce the 1914-D counterfeits.

Then I realized the OP's coin in this thread is a 1911-S and then on a closer look - the spread of the date looked normal.

Razz likes this.
  11. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I had the same thought! What if the master die hub had that damage on the 9 and so there are Denver mint coins from 1911 used as a model for the counterfeit 14 D? Could they repunch the second 4 into an 11 die? Then use that to restrike 11 P or 11 D coins?

Does the spread on the counterfit 14 D match the spread on genuine 11 (P, D, or S)?

12. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

No the spread of the date on the counterfeit does not match the spread for 1911 or 1914.

Razz likes this.
  13. ddddd

ddddd Member

I'll go with fine and say it's a mighty fine specimen for an album or raw set. :)

Razz likes this.
  14. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Thanks for checking that!

15. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

IMO and judging from PCGS Photograde I'll go with F-12

Razz likes this.
  16. LRC-Tom

LRC-Tom Been around the block...

A solid VF on the obverse, and a strong Fine on the reverse. People consider the wheat lines quite a bit, but the obverse could overrule. I'm saying VF-20.

Razz likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted