1911 Dragon Dollar thoughts

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by NorthKorea, May 20, 2016.

1. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

I acquired a 1911 Dragon Dollar that doesn't fit into my collection at all, so I'm going to sell it. That said, I'm wondering... is it worth submitting to PCGS/NGC for grading? The coin has several "problems" including what appear to be: a) counterstamp (done in ink?) on the side with the writing and b) "x" mark on dragon side of the coin in the middle.

I've posted photos with the flash mainly to show the details. All of the luster gets washed out, but it does a better job of showing the wear.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jester3681 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

could be fake ? wait for other opinions.

4. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Yes, and it could be genuine - so what? Now the poster can ignore the first two posts that are of no help at all. :yack::yack::yack:

@NorthKorea The quality of the counterfeits in this series are beyond the point of looking at a photo. Unless the characters are "off" or incorrect, authenticators need to see the microscopic detail of the surface, and the specific gravity (catches some). Without this, the chops and ink cancel (not common) make me lean genuine (but chops are found on counterfeits).

For a "real" opinion that is worth something besides :yack::yack::yack:, you'll either need to consult a major dealer in these coins or you can send it to a TPGS. In the case of this coin, I'll recommend NGC.

5. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

I'm leaning towards genuine. Please do post a photo of the edge as well as providing details of the weight of the coin for further verification.

The ink mark is usually done for wedding / joyous occasion. In this case, I believe the character is "fu" which means good luck. While NGC / PCGS will not grade it due to such ink mark, chop mark at the top as well as the scratch mark on reverse, this is still a desirable coin due to the high grade condition.

6. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I'm pretty sure you'll get 10X the money even in a genuine holder versus raw.

7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

China/Chingkiang KM# (Y-31) 1911 dollar, .900 silver, mintage-77,153,000
    grade/value
    VG-$50.00 F-$75.00 VF-$125.00 XF-$400 MS-60-$2,000.00
    Krause values may differ from real life market value.
    worth getting checked out.
    to bad about that "X" on the dragon side. I think you will still get interested buyers for this coin.

8. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

26.66g, and reeded edge. I can't get to my camera, as it's in the car and pretty dark for photos, anyway.

So, NGC more than PCGS on this coin? I have to renew my membership for PCGS one way or the other, but I hate that I have to make separate submission orders for foreign and US coins. Is the same true for NGC? If so, maybe I'll join NGC too.

(edit: Just checked, NGC allows me to submit world and US coins on same order.)

Last edited: May 22, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted