1911 $2.50 Weak D?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Weston, May 3, 2015.

1. Weston

Weston Well-Known Member

I think I've found one...but I've been wrong about these before. What do y'all think? I understand the picture are poor quality so it may be unidentifiable. Added a couple extra pics underneath... FullSizeRender-3.jpg FullSizeRender-1.jpg

Attached Files:

swamp yankee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Sorry, I can't see any trace of a D.

4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

+1 no D sorry

5. Weston

Weston Well-Known Member

Its not necessarily the trace of the D I'm looking for, but the die characteristics themselves. Is that what you guys are looking for? Heres a PCGS AU50 in which I see no signs of a D on. 28855300_40632100_550.jpg

6. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I've been lucky enough to find 3 weak D coins. One had zero trace of a D. This one has a shot, but it is unlikely. I would still grade it to be sure though.

7. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I say no. There are three diagnostics for a genuine 11-D, all of which were made from the same die pair. Visible on the the coin posted by @Weston is a collar clash at 12:00 on the reverse, which looks like a scalloped edge on the surface of the coin near the edge. Visible under magnification are some vertical die scratches in the recessed area left of the arrow tips, and some die gouges by the front of the beak. I cannot see the collar clash on the coin in the 2x2 above.

mill rat41 likes this.
  8. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

The 1911-D with no D visible I had graded did not have these exact marks. I might have gotten lucky though

9. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

Good looking piece,but I see 0 D also......

Draft saved Draft deleted