1910-S Beauty Snag (I think I did well)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Phoenix21, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

Thoughts, opinions and a stab at what I paid? :) (no cheating by looking it up)

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

4. Phoenix21

Hoping when (strong if, not sure yet though) I submit it, the TPG disagrees. ^.- I don't think what you are seeing is wear. The only thing that troubles me is the gun-shot on Lincoln's head.

5. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

That's not the S/S, is it? Whatever, I'm seeing mid-AU, right in that neighborhood.

6. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

There is enough wear on this one I could see it going either way depending on their mood at the moment 55/62. That probably means AU. However, there is something about that color I do not like. Maybe it is just you picture, but I would guess genuine.

BTW $50?

7. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

This could be an example of light reflecting poorly off the surface and into an over-sensitive camera sensor...I just took some photos of a 1973D Jefferson Nickel that looked awful in the photos, proof like in hand.

Based on the photos, though, I'd have to say low to mid AU as a guess, if the attempted lobotomy doesn't body bag it.

8. Phoenix21

I was wondering if it was an S/S too (part of why I bought it as I wanted to examine it in hand) however it doesn't seem to match any by the pics. It could possibly be the #2 (in which case I would be quite pleased), but I am doubtful.

The hole on the head is concerning, but I don't think it will hold it back.

And I was hoping what appears to be wear just an example of poor photography portraying the coin inadequately, but I could have been overzealous. I have seen some slabbed MS coins that looked like they had guaranteed wear in the picture (Lincolns). We shall see; I have my fingers crossed and will examine her more in hand. Looking at the mintmark first and then the hair and jaw.

And right on the money, RLM. :) Did you see the auction?

9. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Nope.
    Is that color accurate?

10. Pacecar

Pacecar Well-Known Member

I'm definitely no Lincoln expert. Is that just a weak strike on the reverse? The "PL" of Pluribus and part of the "O" in One looks washed out to me, but the rim is good. So am I wrong in thinking weak strike or possibly "struck through grease", or is it wear? Either way, I think it's a nice looking Lincoln.

11. Phoenix21

I do not have her in hand yet, but I will update on the color when she arrives. I was wondering about the surfaces, but I think it is honestly just poor photography.

12. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Thinking 50-53. Would like to see it when you get it.

13. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Your obverse looks like it has some wear, although the cheek is strong. It could be just glare, but I think it's wear. On your reverse, NW of the O, that's no issue. It's an area that's understruck on a lot of Lincoln cents. If you look at the overlay, that's where the deepest part of the obverse die is, which "swallows" (will you let me get away with that?) most of the strike. Anyway, the wheat looks a little washed out. It looks like low-AU wheat. It could be the pictures, it's a little dark down there at the bottom. Always, that's the disclaimer. I think it's an attractive cent. Will the graders let it in their plastic with that hole? Wow, I don't know.

14. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

My opinion would be AU53 from pictures it might be nicer in hand and since you said it was a snag I'm gonna be very conservative and say $32. I think that would have been a steal not a snag lol.

15. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Nice obverse.

16. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Actually, looking closer at that "hole," I'm thinking it's more an illusion. It's an area that retained the "red," with just that dark perimeter, "defining" it. Give it a good going over when you get it. I'm thinking, now, this old boy grades.

Draft saved Draft deleted