1910 Mexico Peso Caballito - Cleaned or Contact Marks?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by iPen, May 16, 2016.

1. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Does anyone think that this 1910 Mexico Peso Caballito coin is cleaned? Or, are those marks on the coin simply contact marks?

The contact marks are more or less random, and doesn't appear to move in a path from what I can tell. I also see cartwheel luster on both the obverse and reverse of the coin, which is hard to capture with the camera but it's a full cartwheel though not as bright as a fresh from the mint one obviously. So, I know that at least it wasn't "harshly" cleaned.

Asked another way, have you all seen coins graded (not details graded) by NGC/PCGS with the characteristic marks shown in the pics below, while having cartwheel luster on both sides?

Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sonlarson likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I just want to know why you call it a Caballito? That's a full grown horse and in spanish we say Caballo.. A caballito would be a smaller horse. Like a pony.

Insider likes this.
  4. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Cleaning does not leave dimpled marks on coins UNLESS it is sand blasted. The marks on your coin resemble those found on a coin that has been dropped and then run over or stepped on as it lay on the ground.

Let's call it "mishandled."

5. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

paddyman98 likes this.
  6. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

In most cases, NGC just copied the info in Krause. That's the way it is listed. Also the weights in many of the NGC posting are incorrect for the same reason! :facepalm:

(edited to fix quote tags)

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2016
    paddyman98 likes this.
  7. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Good question, makes me curious. More trivia: Did you know if you count the sun's rays at the bottom there are 13, but at the top there are 14?

8. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Interesting, I see what you mean - the ray at the cape.

Maybe the engraver forgot about that ray, since the cape doesn't have an outline where the cape ends and the ray shows.

longshot likes this.
  9. xlrcable

xlrcable Active Member

The diminutive can connote affection, as well as small size. Another example of the same usage, for a statue that dates from before independence:

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Caballito_(estatua)

Last edited: May 16, 2016
    Hispanicus and paddyman98 like this.
  10. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

True.. you may be on to something here.. the Caballito Statue in located in Mexico. Maybe this coin is in reference to it :wideyed:

edit - Or maybe not.. there is a difference in the 2 statues.. affection is understandable.

11. Hispanicus

Hispanicus Stand Fast!

Xlrcable beat me to it.

Draft saved Draft deleted