1910 Lincoln

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Pickin and Grinin, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

1910 linc obv.JPG 1910 linc rev.JPG Although I like a good deal. I dont mind paying the price for a nice coin.
    The Dealer has 45$ on this one.
    I said that I thought it had some wear above the war. He made me a deal on it.
    What would you grade It?

Noah Finney and dwhiz like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

I'm not an expert in Lincoln Cents, but I see the coin in the low AU range.....AU50 -53

4. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

AU55 but my guess is they would say questionable color.

5. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Above the what?

6. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I'm guessing he meant to say 'ear' instead of 'war.'

I think it goes AU.

7. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

53 or 55

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  8. Pickin and Grinin

Ear

9. Pickin and Grinin

Thanks, I only paid Au money.
    The color on the reverse?

10. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Mostly the obverse, but both sides don't look right to me.

11. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

12. Pickin and Grinin

I will try to get some better pics, although the red seems real prominent on the high points, still in my opinion a 58. The high points (reds) still have some Lustre. I will see if I can capture the coin a little better.
    Some coins are easier for me to get in hand look, still learning my new Dslr.

13. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

AU 58 but it might be a 55.

14. Pickin and Grinin

I am surprised that no one picked up the heavy die impression, reverse.
    I am not sure about positioning though. (VDB)
    @SuperDave and @Idhair

15. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

"I am surprised that no one picked up the heavy die impression, reverse." There is absolutely nothing unusual about the strike on the reverse.

"I said that I thought it had some wear above the ear." You may be missing the obvious. Look at the color of the patch of wear above the ear. Now look at all the surfaces where that same color is on the rest of Lincoln. It is on his cheek, jaw, and down his coat. The coin is closer to XF than it is to Unc so AU-58 is silly! There is no Santa Clause in numismatics. I don't have a trends at home but I should be completely shocked if that coin retails over $9 and I'll bet you a beer that not one major dealer in the country would offer even $3 to buy it. I recommend you pass on both the coin and THE DEALER.

@Pickin and Grinin the comments in (color of course) are just my opinion.

16. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

OK. There isn't enough evidence from the background as to how close the color is, but if the lighter-color threads are actually white, then there's too much yellow/red in the image (the threads are yellowed) and the color is probably a little too "saturated" in those hues compared to the coin in-hand. So we won't worry about the color for the moment. One problem down. :)

Decent strike; a little deterioration is noted on the top left quadrant of the reverse ("O" and "E PLUR") where Lincolns are notoriously weak because of the obverse shoulder hogging all the metal there to fill it. On a Mint State coin, I'd expect a little sign of incomplete fill - kinda graininess - by the time the reverse is affected that much (maybe not) but it's a good indicator the coin has likely circulated. The reverse presents better evidence in the wheat stalks, where the triangular tips are starting to round downwards a bit, and wear is visible towards the rim.

Kinda old reverse die - see the concave channel towards the tops of the upper letters? Most visible in the first U of PLURIBUS, but once you have that you can see signs elsewhere along the periphery. This alerts you to the possibility of die wear creating a false impression of circulation wear, but the tope of the letters seem well-formed and complete, not drawing to the rim, the date and LIBERTY are sharply-formed and I think we can discount die wear as a factor. The obverse is a little too blurry to be sure of its' age, but the brighter ring in the field near the rim hints to me of the same age.

I think AU50 does this one, and it's a good example of why it's easier to like AU coins than low MS ones.

17. Pickin and Grinin

OKayahayhay
    It may have been rubbed with a greasy hand but in know way XF. You should check your reference.

18. Insider

:rolleyes: Let me make this very simple and condense the long winded post above. The coin is AU-50.

I'm also sorry to say that I'm not the one who needs a grading reference or a remedial reading comprehension course. As I
    tried to explain: AU-50 is close to XF+. The coin is not even close to an AU-58 (which is the next grade below Unc.). Therefore, as I already posted: "Your coin is closer to XF than it is to Unc".

Hopefully, you will have gained something from my original post and this one. Anyway, I hope you don't buy it, you can do much better. ;)

19. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

So does the coin grade AU50 or what? I am confused.

20. Insider

I'm confused how anyone here can be confused. The dealer is trying to sell a $9 AU coin for $40+. The maximum grade of the coin is AU-50.

I tried to help the poster who thought the coin was AU-58 and the OP who was thinking of buying it because some ignorant dealer :shifty::greedy: discounted the coin. I tried a simple concept used in grading seminars to evaluate the opinions of posters here.

Read Carefully: The correct answer on a grading test for a coin is AU-50. One student grades the coin AU-58. One student grades the coin XF-45. Which student came closer to the coins actual grade? The student who said XF-45 because the coin is an AU-50. Now the instructor tells the student who said AU-58 that the coin is closer to XF than to UNC so AU-58 is not an appropriate grade. XF-45 is closer to the correct grade of AU-50 than AU-58 is. Simple right?

21. Pickin and Grinin

I am not disregarding any grades in the AU range as I do believe that it is AU. The price I paid was below 58. It also fits very well in the collection I am putting together. Being that I have it in hand, and my pic isn't giving it all its justice. It and a few others will be driven to ANACS, soon.

Draft saved Draft deleted