1910 India Rupee... Wrong Type

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Dr Tanmay Saha, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Dr Tanmay Saha

Dr Tanmay Saha New Member

Hello everybody,
    I have just joined today and really novice in this field of hobby. I was searching for such a place to discuss my problem and really badly seeking help of you people.
    Recently i purchased one KGV 1 rupee coin 1911 & 1 rupee coin of Victoria Empress 1887.
    The major problem is two of my known coin seller said the 1911 KGV coin is a fake one, particularly after seeing the peripheral design of the obverse. I have taken weight of it and one such same from year 1917. Weight of the 1911 is 11.635gm & 1917 is 11. 535gms. I am here attaching the snap of 1911 coin. Can you please tell me is it is fake or enlighten me what other factors i have to check to be confirmed or where i can get the definite opinion?
    Moreover one last question is i got one Victoria empress 1887 Bombay mint one rupee with "B" incused & that is reverse. is it rare or common.
    seeking help from you badly so please post your opinion.
    with regards to all

dr tanmay saha

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dr Tanmay Saha

some how i made a mistake about the thread name

4. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Welcome to the forum. Be glad to look at some pics. icon_smile_pics.gif

5. Dr Tanmay Saha

thank you dear, i dont know why i tried to add photo so many times but it is not showing.

6. Dr Tanmay Saha

7. Dr Tanmay Saha

i have done it. at last. i learnt.

8. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. Are you from India yourself? Good job posting the photos!

I think you are asking if we can help you determine if the coins are genuine, correct? I'm not the guy to help you, but someone should be along shortly to help. I do see that the detail inside the rim of 1911 is different form the 1887, but I don't know if that is "wrong". Do you mind if I post my only Rupee? It is a 1900.

1900_uk_rupee_obv_small.jpg 1900_uk_rupee_rev_small.jpg

The reverse inner rim detail on my 1900 look like your 1887, not the 1911. So unless the design was changed, the dealer is likely correct that it is not genuine. Better help should be along shortly.

Rob

silentnviolent and J.A.K. like this.
  9. Dr Tanmay Saha

Dear Rob,

thnx for the post. Actually yes i am from india. Yours one is a calcutta mint. Look below at 6 oclock position. at the center of the flower a "c" has been incused. But actually the rim design between Victoria & KGV differs a lot. And even victoria coins it self has more than 270 varieties as far as i know.

keep posting

10. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 Well-Known Member

BTW...the Standard Catalog says the 1911(b) should weight 11.66 grams and 0.917 fine silver. Mintage 5,143,000.

Rob

Draft saved Draft deleted