1909s?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Anarchos, Jul 29, 2010.

1. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

If what i'm seeing is the same S that you see im still up in the air as to whether it's a mint mark. It would have to be position #1 if any. I took the liberty of borrowing your pic and rotating it a little bit to match up with the one in the PCGS example. It looks like there's a possibility although I think you should be able to see the S clearer. The 1 and the first 9 are in the same patch of corrosion as the mint mark and they are still very well defined. I'm leaning towards the corrosion leaving a small part of the field right where the mint mark is that just happens to look like part of an S.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. WingedLiberty

WingedLiberty Well-Known Member

Nice photos ... I see what you mean ...

On the plus side ... what are the odds of that corrosion induced S being in the exact right spot as a genuine mintmark ... that's a big coincidence

On the minus side ... the genuine S (on the right) looks serif'd and more closed ... while the S in question (on the left) looks more open

4. Prospector

Prospector Member

Sweet

Now ,that is a sweet find!

It Gives us roll searchers more inspiration.

Congrats on the find and Good Eye.

Off to the bank for a box of cents I go.

No doubt in my mind with all the change redemption machines everywhere and the status of the economy, people are dumping their change hoards more often unchecked.

5. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Pretty much what I expected. The heavy verdigris should not be removed or you'll find some deep pits under it. You might have a little more success by soaking under VC and rubbing some of the thicker spots with a toothpick. However, you'll want to be VERY careful around the MM area in case there is a corroded S under that. Unfortunately I'm not seeing a MM on this coin and I too suspect it's just a plain VDB.

Attached Files:

6. Prospector

Prospector Member

It would be even sweeter if it could be authenticated a Matte Proof.

7. Anarchos

Anarchos Junior Member

That would be sweet lol. But in all honesty, id much rather it be a 1909s vdb, which takes me a step closer to completing my collection. Though i think im in agreement with everyone else that has commented, and is probally just a plain '09. Even so, how many people have found a 1909 vdb in change :D

Once i purchase my membership at NGC(i decided to go with them, as they seem a bit more economical to me), this is going to be one of my 5 "free" submissions, just to get it authenicated, rather its a 1909 plain or 1909s makes no matter

8. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Nah, don't waste a grade on it. If you want to know, send it someone like Bill or Chuck, they'll look at it for you....ususally all you do is pay the postage both ways.

Draft saved Draft deleted