1909s?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Anarchos, Jul 29, 2010.

1. dingodonkey

dingodonkey Junior Member

Unbelievable, but it looks like you actually have the real deal there! ANACS should authenticate and slab it for you. It's cheap and easy to use them, and they'll slab authenticated problem coins.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

sweet find, looks to be consistent with Die Pr 3 IMO. Dang, thats like getting $500-600 back in change.

4. jerseycat10

jerseycat10 Peace Dollar Connoisseur

Pcgs will slab it as genuine, ungradeable, environmental damage.

Ngc will detail grade and slab.

Definately do use one of these 2 services.

5. jerseycat10

Pcgs will slab it as genuine, ungradeable, environmental damage.

Ngc will detail grade and slab.

Definately do use one of these 2 services.

6. Anarchos

Anarchos Junior Member

is it worth sending the coin to NCG for conservation? do coins conserved through NCG typically get a "cleaned" note from grading services?

7. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I think it is worth NCS conservation since you haven't got the experience in conservation. If you choose to take the time to learn on less valuable copper, it may change the cost benefit equation. Now you have to understand that the coin is already damaged by the verdigris and removing it will still leave evidence of that damage, but it should prevent continued destruction of the original copper which appears to currently be active.

You will probably get either an Environmental Damage or Cleaned notation but that's because it is or would be. I don't think anything other than very light verdigris can be removed and leave insufficient damage showing to get a grade without some notation.

8. kangayou

kangayou Junior Member

I have no real world experience with NGC but information that came with my ANA membership says that NGC is their grading partner and NCS is their conservation partner.

9. jerseycat10

In my opinion, yes.

This is a key date coin, well worth the cost of conservation and encapsulation.

NGC will charge you 4% of the retail value of the coin to conserve, plus normal grading and encapsulation fees.

10. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

There's next to nothing NCS can do with that coin. It would be a waste of time and money.

11. Anarchos

Anarchos Junior Member

even if there wasnt much that could be done for the coin as far as recovery goes, wouldnt the conservation by NCS at least halt further corrosion? What about your Verdi product? I read that it provides a micro-film for protection. Would it work on a coin in this bad of shape to halt further damage?

Sorry for all the questions, guess i need to do a little research today. But i do appreciate all the responses!

12. Evorlor

Evorlor Member

Even if they mark it cleaned, it won't matter. I'd rather have a "cleaned" coin than one that I could not tell what it is.

13. BadThad

NCS will not add anything to halt the corrosion process other than slabbing it, it's not what they do. In fact, they may not even do anything to this coin, if they did, it would be minimal IMO.

VERDI-CARE™ will deactive the corrosion process with ReAcT2™. It works on all coins and all metals regardless of the level of corrosion. The product will not remove the heavy verdigris, but it will seal and protect.

14. BadThad

NCS will not "clean" the coin. Doing so would destroy any remaining details that are left. This is why I say they would do nothing with this coin. Remember, it's their option, they can decide to not work on a coin if they feel they cannot help it. They do it all the time.

15. Anarchos

Anarchos Junior Member

gotcha ya. Seems like Verdi is the way to go then. thanks for your help thad :)

16. kangayou

kangayou Junior Member

BadThad,

Would you recommend that a newbie to Verdi-Care practice on a few coins before working on a key date ?

17. BadThad

Oh God yes! While VERDI-CARE™ is gentle, a newbie could still make a serious mistake. I generally don't recommend using my products unless you're at least a little experienced in conservation and fully understand the consequences of your actions. The chances of surface damage are very, very small, but there is a chance nonetheless so I always recommend lots of practice to understand how the product works before using on more expensive pieces.....especially on a key date coin.

Thanks for bringing up the topic!

18. Anarchos

Anarchos Junior Member

definately! thanks for bringing this up! I have quite a few verdigras damaged pennies i can experiment with, before using THE coin. Should i try and stick with pre-62 pennies to experiment with since they share the same composition? or would any penny type typically work?

19. BadThad

Use anything 1981 back with verdigris to practice. Read the instructions and FAQ.

20. Anarchos

Anarchos Junior Member

sweet, thanks thad. im gonna order some tonight

21. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

While learning to use your product is optimum, would you consider providing the service on coins where a learning mistake would be costly?

ps I tried to order the product and it didn't like my ID or something.

Draft saved Draft deleted